PDA

View Full Version : Chuck question

Dok Yager
05-24-2014, 1:46 PM
I have two nova chucks one G3 and a G2 as well as a few sets of jaws. I noticed my neighbor has a oneway and he got a Nova 1624-44 before me and bought a G2 chuck. Now the jaws and his Cole jaws will fit his G2 as well as his oneway jaws. So my question is other than a few subtle differences until you go Big for chucks they all look like they have the same screw hole pattern. Is this true or am I just not looking right?

John Keeton
05-24-2014, 3:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the G2, but with few exceptions, jaws will not interchange between brands.

Michael Mills
05-24-2014, 4:00 PM
I agree with John that most jaws are not interchangable between different brands. Some are not even interchangable between different size chucks of the same brand.

I also have never heard of a G2; there is a G3 but is it possible the G2 you refer to is an SN2 (Supernova2). Nova jaws are interchangable between any of their chuck but some larger jaws are not recommended for the smaller chucks.

Harry Robinette
05-24-2014, 9:08 PM
+1 with both answers above.

Bob Hamilton
05-26-2014, 5:42 PM
When I had my SN2 I found that I could use the jaws that I had for my Oneway Talon and Basic chucks on it, but the Nova jaws would not fit on to the Oneway chucks. The reason was that the rib on the back of the Oneway jaws and the groove in the base slides that that rib seats into are a taper fit, while the Nova chucks use a square fit between the jaws and base slides. The screw hole spacing is the same and the rib location is the same, it is just the shape of the rib that is different. The tapered rib on the Oneway jaws fits fine into the square groove on the Nova chucks, but the square rib on the Nova jaws won't seat into the tapered groove on the Oneway chucks. Oneway Stronghold chucks use jaws that are not interchangeable with Talon or Basic chucks so would not work on Nova chucks either, I would expect.

Take care
Bob