PDA

View Full Version : Destin FL woodworking

Jim Young
06-27-2005, 9:51 PM
I'll be heading down to Destin Florida for a week and figured I'd see if anyone knows of any woodworking attractions.

As a side note - I love snorkling but all this yappin about shark attacks has me thinking. Two attacks in less than a week, one in the exact spot where I am headed.

Gary Herrmann
06-27-2005, 11:15 PM
and you're snorkeling, stay still. Hard to do when a killing machine is milling around, I know. If you're diving, go to the bottom and stay there till the beast leaves - if you have the air. Supposedly, you can deter them by whacking them on the nose or gouging an eye, but I've thankfully never had to test that in 20+ years of diving. I've seen Nurse sharks and some Lemon sharks, but never anything big. I was always more worried about man o' war, barracuda or morays.

Approach it like woodworking. If the little voice says "maybe we shouldn't..." - don't.

Wes Newman
06-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Jim, I was down there two weeks ago, and didn't see a single woodworking store, except the place that sold hand made tekees(sp). There were way to many tourist shops. That's a sad thing that happened to that girl. P.S. I did catch a shark, but it was several miles out from shore.

Dev Emch
06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
I too feel bad about what happened to both the young girl and the boy. After spending a long time living in Fla, albeit on the other side by Daytona, you find that the locals have a solution for sharks. Its called Kingsford and lemon juice. I would not hesitate to substitute a bull shark steak for a mako steak.

Earl Kelly
06-28-2005, 9:33 AM
Jim, you can go down the road to Santa Rosa Beach and visit Hogan Hardwoods . They're on Hwy. 98 just east of you, they do mainly wholesale distributing, but I'm sure they have a showroom and allow walk in traffic.

If you want to do a little sightseeing, go further east to Point Washington. They have Eden State Park there. It's an old wood baron's mansion that was restored and donated to the state. If you go South from there it'll take you to Seagrove beach and Seaside(a developement it made lots of national mags)

Not much to snorkel on there, unless you like looking at sand. Sharks have always been there, but usually no one gets bit, 'cause the waters so clear.

Bill Lewis
06-28-2005, 3:12 PM
It's been awhile since I've been to Florida. I do recall seeing lots of roadside stands selling cypress roots and slabs, chunks and trunks.