PDA

View Full Version : 90 degree angle drill accessory??????

Jerry Crawford
06-27-2005, 9:33 PM
I'm installing some "Organized Living" slide out kitchen shelf's. One set goes in a space that is only about 6 or 7" high between the bottom shelf and the mid shelf above. These shelf's are not adjustable or moveable. Obviously this height is too restricted to get a screwdrive or drill into to either predrill pilot holes for screws or place the screws themselves.

Year ago I saw a goofy accessory that attached to an electric drill that enabled one to operate in restricted space to drill. Anyone have an idea about this or know any magic spells I can cast?

Randy Meijer
06-27-2005, 10:02 PM
I remember seeing those attachments years ago. I have no idea whether they are still available or not?? Ryobi makes a 3/8" 18V cordless drill that runs $60 at Home Depot. I couldn't tell from the website what the minimum space requirement is; but it looks like it might work in 6 or 7" of clearance.

Bill Turpin
06-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Woodcraft sells one for $19.99. I bought one to install metal cabinet pullout drawers between wooden shelves about 7" apart. Worked like a charm. It is much better quality than expected for the price. Expected a soon to be worn out toy, but got a HEAVY, quality feeling tool that should last for years. I would recommend this tool to anybody, but a professional, who would use it all the time. In today's world of cheap, junk tools, this was quite a surprise.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5182:)

Bill in WNC mountains

John Miliunas
06-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Something like this, Jerry? http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5094(Or, you can get a Festool drill with their angle chuck. It's awesome!!!):) :cool:

Must've hit "submit" about the same time as Bill did! :eek:

Doug Shepard
06-27-2005, 10:10 PM
I've got one similar to this first link that works well http://www.hobbytool.com/browseproducts/Heavy-Duty-Right-Angle-Drill-Attachment.html

In trying to find a pic of that style I also ran across this one which looks like it might fit in even tighter spaces
http://www.tightfittools.com/riganat.html

If you do a google search with "right angle drilling attachment" there are other styles out there - most of them with a bit more bulbous shape and a side handle for stability, but I don't know if the handle is removable or not. If not, fitting those in tight spots could be difficult.

You can also usually pick up flexible drilling attachments at the Borg, but you can only run them in the forward direction. If you go backwards, the internal mesh framework that rotates inside the rubber housing will unravel.

Bill Turpin
06-27-2005, 10:10 PM
The : ) at end of URL was supposed to be a smiley

Bill

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Something like this, Jerry? http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5094"It should be used with hand drills only and is not recommended for drill press use."
Oy. I'm gonna be all night getting that image out of my head...

Jerry Crawford
06-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys - at 10 bucks it's worth a try. LOML really wants these installed - if momma ain't happy nobody's happy

Corey Hallagan
06-28-2005, 12:18 AM
I have the Ryobi 18V close quarters drill. It has no clutch settings which I suppose the idea is you need more than less power while drille wierd angles. I used it while buidling my cabinets in the shop and will do the drawer glides with it. It is heavy though and quite long, but it does the job!

I have seen those flex do hickeys, I don't know if they work or not!

Corey

Bill Fields
06-28-2005, 12:54 AM
This is one I would probably not tackle. While I have the tools mentioned, HOW do you get to the extreme rear of the tight aperture to drill screw hole and place screws.

-How about an externally built unit that slides in and is fastened by a couple of screws near the front?
-How about Teflon tape on the bottom surfaces--lame, I know.
-How about saying it can't be done, Honey?

Godd luck--patience!

BILL FIELDS

Jerry Crawford
06-28-2005, 3:11 AM
Bingo! I like your thinking Bill. I had thought of double sided tape somehow, but your ideas oprn up new avenues
jerry

Lamar Horton
06-28-2005, 7:56 AM
Milwaukee has one that works great, I got mine at Lowes, its small and compact and easy to use. One of the best accessories I have ever bought.

Lamar

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-28-2005, 2:45 PM
OK guys!
Been there, done that!
Have the mechanical right angle solid adapter - works great.
Have the flex, wiggly adapter - works OK*

* WATCH OUT for the torque
Almost sprained wrist with the wiggly adapter - threw the screw driver bit across the patio - scrapnel headed your way - WATCH OUT!
Put a permanent kink in the spring steel of the wiggly thing.

The solid adapter only got my wrist wound up before I let go of the power button - yeow! But OK.
I know - I need stronger wrists.
Daniel :D

ps Bought a DeWalt DW966 Right Angle Cordless Drill - works better than both adapters - as far as wrist wind-up goes.