PDA

View Full Version : New tires for my pickup

Rick Potter
05-23-2014, 1:26 PM
Got a 2005 Ford F250 diesel. Just turned 52K miles on it and the original tires are getting close to worn out. Time to get new ones, as I will be driving it to Phoenix pretty soon.

It has Pirelli 265/70 17's, load range E on it now. Got a quote of $1062 for those, but the dealer says I would get better wear from Michelins at $1065 with the rebate.

I have heard somewhere that Michelins are not as good as they used to be. Does anyone have recent experience with them?

Thanks,
Rick Potter

PS: we are talking highway tires, not off road tread. I have a Jeep for when I want whiplash.

Andrew Fleck
05-23-2014, 1:46 PM
Both my Dad and myself have been using Michelins for years without any problems at all. I haven't seen a decline in quality. I have a set on my car and a set on my half ton pickup. They are the best tires I have used that don't require 2nd mortgage to purchase.

Justin Ludwig
05-23-2014, 3:34 PM
My 2013 F250 has 17000 miles on it and already needs new rear tires. I guess hauling a 16ft cargo trailer loaded with cabinets 300 miles each trip wears on them. Who knew?

I'll be monitoring this thread for insight...

Paul McGaha
05-23-2014, 3:40 PM
Best tires I ever had were a set of BF Goodrich tires that came new on a 2001 Ford F150 2 wheel drive pickup. 70,000 miles on those tires. I just replaced them (with the same tires from BF Goodrich) a couple of months ago. Hope the new set does as well.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Dave Lehnert
05-23-2014, 4:06 PM
Have a friend who got 70K miles on her Michelins.

Jim Matthews
05-23-2014, 4:17 PM
I kid you not, the plain- Jane Falken tires I put on my Honda were a revelation.

Cheap, quiet, fuel efficient and long wearing.
If they come in your size, at least consider them.

Tom M King
05-24-2014, 5:24 PM
I got 115 out of my last set of Michelins on the dually. I think I did have to replace one for some irreparable damage somewhere in that set, but it helps to have 6 in the mix for rotation. The set on there now have about 60 on them, and they still look great. We'll rotate a couple of them tomorrow. If my right front didn't wear one faster than the others, regardless of anyone's best alignment, they would last longer. I don't remember the tire model, but they're probably the same load range E's you're looking at. I never had a four wheel pickup to get anything like the tire mileage that I do on the dually. The outside rears get almost no wear.

Rick Potter
05-25-2014, 1:42 AM
Ok, guys

Thanks for the input, I will go ahead with the Michelins. Costco and Sams both have them for $990 out the door. If I were just running around town, I could keep the old ones for another year, but several trips to Phoenix this summer driving six hours at 75 MPH and 110 degree temperature on nine year old tires is probably not the best decision.

Tom M King
05-25-2014, 9:52 AM
Make sure the ones you get from the big box stores have the same amount of tread as from a tire dealer. I found out that there is a difference in some car tires, even though the same letters are on the sidewall. I buy mine from a tire dealer that sells for almost the same price as Sam's.

Jim Matthews
05-25-2014, 4:54 PM
Make sure the ones you get from the big box stores have the same amount of tread as from a tire dealer. I found out that there is a difference in some car tires, even though the same letters are on the sidewall.

- Bwah?

Whatchyo talkin' bout, Willis?
I thought a tire was a tire...

Rick Potter
05-25-2014, 6:33 PM
Interesting, never heard that before. No worry though, I will be buying from the local dealer, Americas Tires, anyway. Gotta talk to them though, they have a sign posted that they match any price.

Rick P

Bill Rhodus
05-25-2014, 7:10 PM
My jeep with 57000 needs a set of 255/70/18 tires and holey moley! These things are expensive! Oh, I had good service with my last set of Michelin's; 97000 miles.

Shawn Pixley
05-25-2014, 8:26 PM
Oddly enough, my dealer has always been cheaper than tire stores or Tire Rack (for a size specific to my car).