PDA

View Full Version : Digital Image Editing Software

Larry Browning
05-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Just got a new DSLR (Canon T3i) and have been dabbling with it. I thought it might be fun to do some digital darkroom stuff, so I have been researching the software to do this with. It seems that Photoshop is the most popular, but it is just too expensive, and the learning curve is just too long for me. Makes me think of CAD program learning curves.
I ran across a program called Sagelight Image Editor. Does anyone have any experience with this program? I downloaded the 30day trial, and have messed with it a little and it seems like something I could use. The development is a one man show and I get some mixed signals from him. It appears that he had put the project down for a while,but now he seems to have a renewed interest in continuing the development. I am thinking about paying the $40 for the license, which includes lifetime updates and I can install it on all my PC's as well. I am just wanting to get some input from my fellow woodworkers, before I pull the trigger on this.

Dave Richards
05-23-2014, 2:05 PM
I have Photoshop Elements because it was packed with a scanner. It is good but I find myself using Paint.NET for most image editing. It's free, the learning curve isn't terribly steep nor long and I can often have it opened and the image edited before PSE is finished opening.

David Masters
05-23-2014, 2:41 PM
I don't have experience with Sagelight. But other than Viewscan, I haven't had a lot of luck with long term use of one-man efforts. I use a combination of DxO and Adobe's Lightroom for 99% of my image manipulation. I used to do everything in Photoshop, but this combination has almost eliminated my need to fire it up these days. It would cost a lot more than $40 however. I think I paid nearly $200 for the combination. But I'm a pretty serious photo hobbyist. There is a program called ACDSee that might work for you. I've never used it, but my brother-in-law, who does photography professionally likes it. I think it runs about $60.

Dave

Dan Hintz
05-23-2014, 2:55 PM
I'll also recommend Paint.NET. I would never pay someone for a license if they aren't real sure they want to work on the product...

I have a T2i and love it...

Dale Murray
05-23-2014, 4:03 PM
I am a professional photographer.
Primary tool - Adobe Lightroom. About 90% of what I shoot never needs anything more than the tools in Lightroom.
Secondary - Adobe Photoshop. I rarely need to move to photoshop unless I am doing some serious composite work or creating panoramas.

Example of some serious composite work: http://www.dalemurrayphotography.com/Moxie/

Photos that never left Lighroom: http://www.remodernranch.com/a-trip-to-hawaii/ <-- in retrospect these may be a bit dark.

Burt Alcantara
05-23-2014, 6:30 PM
Gimp. It's free. Steep learning curve but it does everything.

Moses Yoder
05-24-2014, 4:29 AM
My brother-in-law uses Gimp and turned me on to it. I do very little with it but at one time he was doing major photo editing with it. I caught this 14 inch perch on a charter and the captain snapped the picture of it and emailed it to me. (the first pic). It looked great to me except for the fact that my cousin's shoulder is on the right. I took it to my brother-in-law and he fixed it. The charter boat captain later made a large sign for his shows using this picture.

Curt Harms
05-24-2014, 8:54 AM
Anyone who hasn't tried GIMP in a number of years might want to do so. The latest version, 2.8 was an extended gestation because it was a fairly major makeover.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2014, 10:31 AM
We use Photoshop Elements.

Shawn Pixley
05-24-2014, 11:41 AM
My wife is a graphic artist. I use Aperture for my digital photography organization (many thousands of photographs). It has a few features for limited editing. What I can't do there, she will do in Photoshop. We have been shooting a large amount of RAW lately. In addition, I'll shoot multiple photos that she knits together for panarama composite images.

paul cottingham
05-24-2014, 2:08 PM
One word. GIMP. Any powerful photo editing software has a steep learning curve, so why pay for the privilege.

Art Mann
05-24-2014, 2:53 PM
. . . We have been shooting a large amount of RAW lately. . . .

Starting with the original data when photo editing rather than a JPEG file provides so much more power and flexibility. For the professional or serious photography enthusiast that is really worthwhile in my opinion.

Brian Elfert
05-24-2014, 3:16 PM
Adobe has a special deal to get Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month, but you have to commit to a year.

Jerry Thompson
05-24-2014, 6:57 PM
I finally figured out how to do mask layers. I do not have the patience for it. I cannot, for the most part, read directions and learn how to do anything. I learned on Youtube but even that took forever. I seems odd that I used to shoot weddings, sports events and did all of the B&W darkroom work but digital editing is a chore. I can do a lot of the basics and shoot in RAW and stuff comes out great. The major stuff, I am at a loss.
I do use silver Effect Pro to convert color to B&W. Then I can dodge, burn and add sepia and film types. That I do well because it is easy.
I would like to try Gimp but have no faith in being able to use it.