PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry bowl...

Michael Stafford
06-27-2005, 9:18 PM
This bowl was turned from a piece of mulberry my wife gave me for Christmas. It was nice and green and threw noodles all over the shop as I applied the gouge to it. I soaked it in alcohol for 24 hours and drained it, wrapped and let it dry for two months. When I finally put it on the lathe I was surprised at how hard it was but it did polish up nicely.

It is 7 3/8" in diameter and a little over 4" tall. I like the knot that fell in the middle of the rim and the little compression curl that is under it. It is more yellow than the digital image shows.

John Hart
06-27-2005, 9:34 PM
Every morning I get up and wash the car because I have no choice but to park under a mulberry tree in the backyard. The car is covered in bird poop and berries....every day. Mike...you have shown me a solution. Thank you.

Beautiful Bowl!!!!:)

Gary Max
06-27-2005, 9:47 PM
Great looking bowl Mike. I have never turned any Mulberry but I sure like the way it came out. You are right about the knot really adding to it.

John Miliunas
06-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Nice job, Mike and I too like the inclusion there. I typically like the "collateral damage" done by knots and the like. Usually adds a lot of interest as you have proved out here. Good lookin' piece!:) :cool:

Bill Stevener
06-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Mike,

Very nice bowl, it has alot of caricature. I know the yellow you speak of, and at times the mulberry can exhibit some striking blues as well. We have quite a bit of it growing along the creek bottom, turns quite well, however it is nasty on the chain saw.

Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
06-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Nice bowl, Mike. I'm glad you explained that the color in the photo is off. I was beginning to wonder if what I have is mulberry! I boiled a piece of green tonight. A bowl I turned a month ago is still pretty bright yellow, but the end grain on one of the logs has changed to a sort of chocolate brown..

Ed Scolforo
06-28-2005, 7:51 AM
Nicely done, Mike! I, too, like the character that the knot provides.
Ed