PDA

View Full Version : Minor Gloat

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-22-2003, 8:30 PM
I recieved the components for the "Scary Sharp" system today. Klingspor paper, honing guide, etc. I took to some of my chisels using the guide, and in short order, I indeed was Scared! :p
Man, this technique gets them buggers VERY sharp! Much more convienient that sending them out, and very easy to do. I didn't know about this sharpening technique until I visited Saw Mill Creek, and I am very satisfied with the results. I encourage anyone who is considering an economical way to sharpen their "Flat" cutting tool surfaces to check the system out. I REALLY need to be careful with the chisels now, and I am betting I will get cut the next time I use them...................that is usually how thing go at times. Thanks to all for suggesting this system, it works better than I had ever imagined!:D

John Miliunas
05-22-2003, 9:33 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
and I am betting I will get cut the next time I use them...................that is usually how thing go at times. Thanks to all for suggesting this system, it works better than I had ever imagined!:D

Hey Kevin, I could've easily written that quote, because that's *exactly* what happened the first time I used one of mine after getting them all scared! Nice clean cut, bled like a stuck pig, but, because it was so nice and sharp, it healed quickly and didn't leave a scar! I used one of my "famous" home-made butterfly bandages and all was good in about a week. Of course, the method of getting it cut in the first place, was not "Scary's" fault, but my own stupidity. But by that, had it been a dull chisel, I can't imagine the damage! Have fun and please, BE CAREFUL! :cool:

Charles McKinley
05-23-2003, 10:55 AM
I got this tip from "Fine Homebuilding." If you travel with you tools dip the edge in liquid electric tape. the edge is protected and it easily peels off. The person also used different colors for different levels of sharpness of the chisels.

Bill Esposito
05-23-2003, 3:08 PM
*Every* time I trim up the shoulders of a tenon at least one of them has a red stain from my blood...never fails. I'm thinking about buying some of those chain link stainless steel shark gloves to wear when I use my Scary Sharp chisels. :)