PDA

View Full Version : 150W CO2 laser cutting metal

Robert Walters
05-22-2014, 5:41 PM
Really?

I was under the impression that you needed 400W+ for CO2 to cut metal.
I know YaG is only like 50W or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h476ypvOY0c

Dan Hintz
05-22-2014, 6:01 PM
I believe they're using oxygen assist with those cuts... which can be extremely dangerous in inexperienced hands, so no one here will recommend it to newbies.

Dave Sheldrake
05-22-2014, 6:38 PM
As Dan said, add Oxygen = DIY bomb unless the machine is designed to use it or you know a LOT about the subject. I had an HSE inspector look over a Chinese Oxygen assisted machine, even though he was a close friend he said he'd write me up for 32 infringements if I even thought about installing it at work!

cheers

Dave

Matt Turner (physics)
05-22-2014, 6:47 PM
That's the rotary stage that Kern made for us.

I'd guess that their 150W systems could cut at least .04" of steel without oxygen assist. We still haven't hooked oxygen up to our 400W, but I've been able to cut 1/8" steel with a 150-psi nitrogen assist.

Dan Hintz
05-22-2014, 8:15 PM
I'd guess that their 150W systems could cut at least .04" of steel without oxygen assist.

If it does (and I have doubts), piercing must be a bear...

Dave Sheldrake
05-22-2014, 8:29 PM
My 180 watt will cut shim steel stock but the crud is disperses into the machine and general rubbish finish makes it a waste of time (it's dog slow as well) when it comes to metal I'll only ever use the Mitsubishi (and even then I've gotten tired of chasing the jobs for not much more than the machine costs to maintain) When the factory move is finished I'm going to get rid of the 7.5kw and get some more Galvos and fibers I think...

cheers

Dave

Michael Reilly
05-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Kern and Vytek lasers can do it because they use CO2 pulsed lasers. Apparently the pierce is the really hard part, so a pulsed laser can generate momentary bursts of much higher power. I think the 400 watt can generate a pulse in the 700 watt range. Once you're through, it apparently requires less power to continue the cut. I actually just received my Vytek LST4896 170 watt which is supposed to be able to cut metal. I'm awaiting training on how to perform the piercing. My machine will be limited to steel (mild and stainless). To do Aluminum, I'd have to go to the 450 watt. We don't want to do industrial cutting, we want to do more fine detail artistic stuff. While our machine will be able to some of it, I guess we'll be limited due to the heat introduced into the material. Apparently, if I want to go seriously into fine metal work it would be better to go to a 750 watt (I think) Fiber laser they offer. They showed me some amazing samples. Maybe some day...

David Somers
06-12-2014, 11:51 AM
So....here is a followup question for this thread. It is more academic than anything, settling a discussion with a friend. This is not something I intend to do someday when I eventually have a laser to play with.

Are you familiar with the very delicate style of masks often called Venetian Filagree masks? They are made of a thin, laser cut metal and are formed to the shape of the face. The filagree is very delicate and the mask is quite light.

Is anyone familiar with what kind of metal they use for this? And what kind of laser they cut it with? After a long search on the internet all I found were sites selling the mask, but nothing on the making of the masks or the materials used beyond it typically being a nickel free laser cut metal.

Please don't burn time searching for this. I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the process off the top of your heads.

Thanks!

Dave

Dan Hintz
06-12-2014, 3:54 PM
My first guess would be SS, followed by aluminum.

Robert Walters
06-12-2014, 4:09 PM
Dave,

I saw a UK based seller of the masks and there was mention of "laser cut in Venice...".

Maybe there is some bulk manufacturer there. As the retail price was in the $32 USD range decorated with crystals, etc. I can't imagine there would be too many places that "laser cut" (as opposed to electro-etching) them.

I suspect the material in thin gauge (< 0.006") stainless steel, the same type that is used for making stencils for solder paste masking of surface mount components.