PDA

View Full Version : Tung Oil?

Jerry Crawford
06-27-2005, 6:39 PM
What is the difference between Tung oil and MidWax Tung Oil Finish? Any?

I'm still pitzing around with quilted maple trying to extract that cloudy quilting and have tried BLO and now some HD's MidWax Tung Oil Finish. The "Finish" product seems to darken the grain and lifts the clouds slightly better.

roy knapp
06-27-2005, 7:40 PM
Tung oil is Tung Oil. Its oil extracted from the nut of the tung tree and i think the trees grow in asia.

Min wax tung oil is not tung oil it is a wiping varnish.

A wiping finish that i like is Arm-r-seal oil & urethane topcoat by General Finishes.:) :)

Jerry Crawford
06-27-2005, 7:58 PM
:mad: dissappointed that big box doesn't sell tung oil

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 9:32 PM
Roy is pretty much correct. When you see "tung oil finish"...there usually isn't any tung oil in it!! This is very true for Minwax products. If you want tung oil, look for "pure tung oil" on the container. But honestly...you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and BLO, other than the latter is far less expensive and cures a lot quicker. You cannot rush a tung oil finish...it really has to be fully cured before you top coat with anything.

Jerry Crawford
06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
how about the midwax finish over several applications of blo? any compatability issues?

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
how about the midwax finish over several applications of blo? any compatability issues?

Nope. Just let the oil cure first. About a week if you did reasonably thin applications.