PDA

View Full Version : Class with Jimmy Clewes

Steve Doerr
05-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Last week my wife and I had a three day class with Jimmy and three other people. It was a great learning experience and Jimmy did a great job of hosting us. Here is a picture of Jimmy, my wife and me. If you get a chance, I would highly recommend taking one of his classes. I have also attached a couple of pictures of one of the turnings I did while there. It is a piece of ash that has had the bottom burned, brushed with a wire brush and died black to allow the growth rings to stand proud of the rest of the wood. The rim has been brushed with a steel brush to better expose the grain, dyed black and then embossed with a gold gilding paste. The inside of the bowl was sanded and dyed black. It is 5 7/8" W x 2 1/4" H. C&C welcomed.
289820289818 289819

Scott Hackler
05-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Cool deal! Jimmy is a barrel of fun and a great turner. Someday when things slow down, I want to go spend the day with him.

Vince Welch
05-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Hi Steve,
I really like what you did with the rim on that piece! Taking a class from Jimmy and getting instruction/inspiration to try/make a piece like this is part of what makes taking a class from Jimmy so valuable. I'm inspired just looking at your piece. Nicely done!

Mike Golka
05-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Jimmy is coming to Alberta next week and is going to spend a day at one of our club members shop. I had planned to attend the shop day but sadly work is keeping me away. :mad:

Chip Sutherland
05-22-2014, 1:22 PM
Jimmy is an exceptional teacher. My class had all levels and for the beginners he was very instructional and boiled it down to what they needed to know to be successful. I had a beginner behind me and he joking told me to put the cage back on her 1642 just in case she launched one my way. She did but it was a bowl gouge from a zinger of a catch....I put the cage on with her compliments. Lesson learned: a light touch doesn't mean a light hold on the gouge.

Greg McClurg
05-22-2014, 2:57 PM
I agree with everyone. I had an opportunity to be in a 1 day hands-on class with Jimmy and he is truly an outstanding instructor and person. I hope to some day be able to attend one of his 3 classes in Vegas.

Dok Yager
05-23-2014, 2:48 PM
I would Love to attend one of his classes. I can imagine how informative and how much fun you had,