PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do...

steven c newman
05-21-2014, 8:31 PM
Along with a nice stash of Barn Siding boards I picked up today, also picked up a 2x4 of sorts. As in 8/4 by 4" by 9' long. This Red Oak 2x has been sitting around in a Pole barn for over two years, now. Time to make sumptin outa it?

Might use the best parts for a couple bodies for long planes, like a jointer, try and/or Jack plane. Might try to make a Traditional Chinese Jack plane. Maybe make the "dowel" too. I have one good iron in the shop, right now.

Barn siding is about a week away from being of use. Sitting outside right now, getting the dirt and cobwebs wash off.

Will have to wait for some pics of that 2x4, kind of hard to get a good view of something 9' long with a small camera. It does have a mild twist to it, and a big old knot about halfway along the length. Might cut the knot out, since the rest seems to be clear.

What to do, what to do......:confused:

steven c newman
05-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Cut the 9 footer down into three managable chunks, shortest of whicn is still 24" long289815a-yup. closer look289816yeah. Oh, forgot to mention, there is a 2-3/4 by 2-3/4 by 22" SPALTED chunk in the stash289817That is it on the top. Who ever heard of GREEN spalting wood?

steven c newman
05-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Somewhere in this stack, there awaits a Traditional Chinese Jack Plane, just have to find out where it is. Iron available is 2" wide. Might have to make the cross bar, maybe out of the same board. Wedge would be the other item to make. Maybe a bit of Black Cherry for that?

Some of the red oak might be used as leg stock. Maybe a short end table/night stand? Top would be a glue up of reclaimed long leaf pine Barn Siding. Maybe I'll have enough for a shelf to add to it?

Price of all this stash? Gas money, 30 mile round trip.