PDA

View Full Version : Need a new exhust fan

Craig Matheny
05-21-2014, 8:02 PM
I need to set up a new exhaust fan at t he house as we closed our store so I now have to worry about the noise and the power consumption. I am looking at some of the inline fans as they are quiet but none show much with static pressure Epilog wants f 400 CFM at 6” of static pressure. Any Ideas would be great.

Robert Walters
05-21-2014, 8:25 PM
Went thru this a few years ago, most of those are less than 2" if that, even the high end ones.

I went with the HF #94029 red dust collector and the HF #43060 router speed control.
Maybe you can make a sound proof dog house for it.

But, maybe you could use a 6"-8" carbon filter from the hydroponic store for any smell.
Roughly $100-$200 and if you're creative you can "refill it" with bulk pellets.

I think Dan said that when the weight of the filter doubles, time to replace the charcoal.

Brian R Cain
05-21-2014, 8:53 PM
What I'd add to Robert's reply is to stick with what Epilog recommend however you need to do it. I was a laser dealer for around 14 years before I retired and aside from convincing people which machine to buy, I had to contend with competitors undercutting my quotes with ones that included inadequate extraction and air assist compressors.

Customers that went with my competitors had problems with optics getting destroyed or machines catching fire or people feeling unwell when they were being used. To be honest, I made as much money out of sorting out issues with machines that I hadn't sold as I did with those I had.

Just don't compromise or it will cost you more in the long run.

Craig Matheny
05-21-2014, 9:15 PM
When you did the testing of the inlines what was the size you tried I am looking at the 12" to attach to the filter box I am making?

Robert Walters
05-22-2014, 2:16 AM
When you did the testing of the inlines what was the size you tried I am looking at the 12" to attach to the filter box I am making?

Straight from the mfr data sheet...

http://atmosphere.com/english/html/product/fans/vtx/vtx.html

Joe Pelonio
05-22-2014, 7:48 PM
I bought an 8" inline that met the specs at Grainger, and reduced it to fit the 4" duct. It's been fine for 8 years now, and is fairly quiet, not loud enough to bother me in the same room.

Robert Walters
05-22-2014, 11:59 PM
I bought an 8" inline that met the specs at Grainger,

Joe,

Don't have a Grainger (or Dayton I believe) PN do ya?

walter hofmann
05-23-2014, 6:27 AM
hi there
I am using the 500CFM 6" inline fan from hydrophonic , I reduced the in and outlet to 4" and it works perfect and is very quite.
greetings
waltfl

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2014, 7:57 AM
It's been a while, but this looks like it in the current catalog, though much higher price now.

Item # 4YM45
Mfr. Model # FG8XL
UNSPSC # 40101604
Catalog Page # 4126
Shipping Weight 11.8 lbs.

Rich Harman
05-23-2014, 2:12 PM
Something that concerns me about the inline fans is that the motor is cooled by the same air that it exhausts. My exhaust has a fair bit of residue in it, it would surely coat the motor and have an adverse affect on it.

Robert Walters
05-23-2014, 4:27 PM
It's been a while, but this looks like it in the current catalog, though much higher price now.

Item # 4YM45
Mfr. Model # FG8XL
UNSPSC # 40101604
Catalog Page # 4126
Shipping Weight 11.8 lbs.

Joe,

That part number shows 218 CFM @ 1.5" (max)
The OP needs were 400 CFM @ 6”

I realize using it on a 4" or 6" changes the characteristics, but it also introduces "frictional resistance" (I believe that is what it's called). I don't know what caveats that may introduce (overloaded motor? Less CFM?)

I think a ways back we were comparing the HF Red dust collector, and this for it's specs (derated of course):

pennstateind DOT com/store/DC250SEMB.html?prodpage=1DC

850 CFM @ 8.5"

Dan Hintz
05-23-2014, 5:06 PM
I think a ways back we were comparing the HF Red dust collector, and this for it's specs (derated of course):

www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html?prodpage=1DC

The red one I got from HF is a 1HP unit, not the 2HP unit from PSI. It does an adequate job, but it's louder than sin at full power. For the real power puller, I hook to my DC2000B, which (I believe) uses the same motor you linked to...

But don't confuse the two, else you'll be sorely disappointed.

Jerome Stanek
05-23-2014, 5:45 PM
the small green Harbor Freight unit is a lot quieter than the red one I had both.

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2014, 6:40 PM
I take my air system apart and clean annually and yes, there is some residue but it's never accumulated enough to be a problem. The duct needs to be cleaned anyway.

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2014, 6:53 PM
Joe,

That part number shows 218 CFM @ 1.5" (max)
The OP needs were 400 CFM @ 6”

I realize using it on a 4" or 6" changes the characteristics, but it also introduces "frictional resistance" (I believe that is what it's called). I don't know what caveats that may introduce (overloaded motor? Less CFM?)

pennstateind DOT com/store/DC250SEMB.html?prodpage=1DC

850 CFM @ 8.5"

I just got home and looked at mine, it's the Fantech FX10XL and was made in Canada rather than Germany. It's also 10" not 8, I guess my memory is not that great after 6 years. This place has it for just a little more than I paid back then and about $200 less than at Grainger's current price.

http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/fantechfx10xl.html

http://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=FX10XL

Dave Sheldrake
05-23-2014, 8:00 PM
Hi Rich,

The motor is usually in the vortex at the rear of the fan (outlet side) so dust / crud isn't usually a problem. On my inlines I just drop them out and wash with a pressure washer usually.

cheers

Dave

Robert Walters
05-24-2014, 12:56 PM
It looks like a couple of you are already using inline fans, but did you read the specs???

218 CFM @ 1.5" (max)

That's 1.5" max static pressure, not the typical 6"-8" requirement.

Is changing the ducting from 8-12" inline fan down to 4" duct increasing the static pressure to the requirements?

If so, how do you know the reduced duct size is close to the required static pressure and CFM ?

Guessing?

If calculating, mind sharing the formula?

@Rich,

Pressure washer?!
Are they waterproof?

Dave Sheldrake
05-24-2014, 2:54 PM
Rob, IP55 on most models, not good for submersion but will take pretty much anything else done sensibly.

cheers

Dave

Rich Harman
05-24-2014, 3:48 PM
I often wash simple electronic devices, provided they are something that I can be sure will dry thoroughly. For example I have a humidifier (fan type, not ultrasonic) that I will yearly toss in the dishwasher. The first time was out of frustration because it was so difficult to get clean, after it was a success I do it every time it needs cleaning - it even has a small electronics board in it that has suffered no ill effects. Which reminds me, it is that time of year again...

Water is often not nearly as hazardous to electronics as you would think. The key is to not allow any power to run through it until it has been thoroughly dried. It does't always work but my experience it does work more often than not.

Dave Sheldrake
05-24-2014, 3:55 PM
I often wash simple electronic devices, provided they are something that I can be sure will dry thoroughly. For example I have a humidifier (fan type, not ultrasonic) that I will yearly toss in the dishwasher. The first time was out of frustration because it was so difficult to get clean, after it was a success I do it every time it needs cleaning - it even has a small electronics board in it that has suffered no ill effects. Which reminds me, it is that time of year again...

Water is often not nearly as hazardous to electronics as you would think. The key is to not allow any power to run through it until it has been thoroughly dried. It does't always work but my experience it does work more often than not.

Yup, my PC keyboards get rotated once a month for a trip into the sink :)

10 days in the drier and back into use, as yet in 10 years not a problem.

cheers

Dave

walter hofmann
05-28-2014, 2:27 PM
hi all
here is a picture from my exaust setup. I use a 500CFM inline fan from hydrophonic ( ebau $85) 6 inch and reduced the in and outlet to 4 inch.

I had to put a chicken wire in front of the machine exaust inlet to avoid that small parts would be sucked out.

this system is so quite that the laser machine noice is louder.290284
maybe this helps
greetings waltfl

Bob McGinn
05-31-2014, 10:52 AM
The classic exhaust fan on the surface will always look like the inexpensive (Home) solution. Suggest you contact your HVAC dealer to understand the excess load all of the Negative Airflow from the laser exhaust is placing on your higher dollar HVAC system. Also never liked the idea of heating & cooling the neighbors yard... There are threads on making a fume extractor or find a BOFA style solution.