PDA

View Full Version : Engraving HD granite not straight white.

Clark Pace
05-21-2014, 7:22 PM
I'm engraving some home depot granite as a test, and the etch whiteness varies. Am I not etching will strong enough power? I'll send a pic when it's done.

Craig Matheny
05-21-2014, 8:04 PM
Home depot does not have a good selection of product and a lot of times it is not a true granite you8 caan use white paint to increase the white onl it

Bill Stearns
05-22-2014, 11:09 AM
CLARK -
I switched, sometime ago, to using Home Depot granite (12" x 12") tiles, simply 'cause of the price difference. I've mentioned this before: it helps to get friendly with the sales help in that HD department. They help me shuffle through the heavy cartons to find the tiles with the least "flecks". (some tiles way more flecked than others. The top tile generally tells the story for the rest in the carton.) Also: I got 'lot of wonderful advice 'while back, when I posted: "Losing my marbles ... marble business" - see if you can find this thread. I was having 'heck of a time getting the photos and text bright enough. Learned how to first seal the tile - engrave it - then coat with (and wipe off) titanium oil based white paint for 'much bright appearance. Good luck.

Bill

Jon Sollee
05-22-2014, 1:07 PM
Granite from HD comes out okay. All depends on the settings you use. Here is an example on the 12x12 HD granite. Really good for mock-up samples for clients. 289879