PDA

View Full Version : A pretty good and free paint program. Try this

Clark Pace
05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi,

So this is an old program, but it really has some pretty good features for us engravers.

It is called adobe photoshop. Ok so I know we have all heard about photo shop, but perhaps some don't know that photoshop version 3.0 is now considered abandonware. That is, you can download and use it free. NO not CS3 , but plain version 3.0 from 1994.

Bill Stearns
05-21-2014, 2:15 PM
Why on earth would anyone want to? Isn't this one of those "you get what you pay for" things? (got' a run: on my way to buy a 1984 Apple Mac Plus with a 9" screen ... :)

Bill

Robert Walters
05-21-2014, 2:43 PM
on my way to buy a 1984 Apple Mac Plus with a 9" screen

I resent that! Leave my 9" screen out of this!
it's running OSX 10.4 just fine (after I hacked the install files that is =).
Sure, the wifi doesn't work when you are more than 5ft from the AP, but still has ethernet!
Just pretend it's a Beta iPad with keyboard and you're good to go! LOL

Robert Walters
05-21-2014, 2:53 PM
some don't know that photoshop version 3.0 is now considered abandonware. That is, you can download and use it free. NO not CS3 , but plain version 3.0 from 1994.

I have never seen a company as large as Adobe ever release an ancient product as "abandonware".

I think I even have a legit copy of Photoshop 2 or 3, and it has a serial number.

Where is the official download link for the one you speak of?

Also, if you just want free...
There is GIMP for raster graphics, and Inkscape/Blender for vector graphics.
Both are modern and run on 32/64 bit systems.

Clark Pace
05-21-2014, 2:55 PM
Yes it's old, but check it out. It's still is pretty good, for it's age. Kind of like ME :). It also runs fast on older machines or laptops. I'm just always looking for tools that maybe useful especially if they are free :)

Clark Pace
05-21-2014, 3:00 PM
Hi. I do have gimp also, but I'm so familiar with adobe photoshop that even 3.0 has a familiar layout. Corel draw has an abandonware versin also it is 5.0, but it really stinks and is not worth a hill of beans.. By the way what does that even mean???

You can get it from _ (http://winworldpc.com/)__________________

They specialize in legal old abandonware programs, games etc..

Sorry took link away. I didn't want SMC to get in trouble. Was pretty sure it was abandonware. But now I will do a little more research to make sure before I post the link again.

Brett Luna
05-21-2014, 3:08 PM
Way back when, I obtained Photoshop in another (but not free) way. I bought a legal copy of the earliest version of PS I could find on eBay that qualified for upgrade to CS. Even with buying both versions, the total came to far less than a full retail version of CS. I've been upgrading every couple of versions since.

Bill Stearns
05-21-2014, 3:27 PM
Clark -
Oh, the wonderment of the Internet! I looked up "hill of beans" meaning - found this info: Language expert Charles Earle Funk said the expression was first used almost 700 years ago. He said Robert of Gloucester described a message from the King of Germany to King John of England as “altogether not worth a bean.” Expression was also used by Humbrey Bolgart at the tail end of the movie Casablanca. As for acquiring software programs - guess just do whatever works for you, uh? Now, there's a suggestion that's not worth 'hill of beans! :)

Bill

Robert Walters
05-21-2014, 3:56 PM
You can get it from

They specialize in legal old abandonware programs, games etc..

That is NOT legal, In the USA it would have to be at least 75 years old to be in the public domain iirc.

What they are working on is the premise that the IP owner/vender will not pay their lawyers to prosecute for such an ancient product and that the "EULA" were not written as well as they are today. Basically, it's a crap shoot.

Also, since those are not released through official channels, they could just be full of malware.

Now, on the flip side...
What those might be good for is opening up old data files and exporting the content to something modern.
But I wouldn't do that unless it's on an quarantined VM and expected malware to be there.

I actually have some of official items they list, maybe one decade in the near future I could compare what they have to my official ones and see if there is any "payload" or malware.

Dan Hintz
05-21-2014, 4:10 PM
Yep, definitely not legal... looks like little more than someone's dump of their Warez archive from the early 90's.

But if you dig a little farther and look in the P's, you'll find Photoshop 4.0.7 in there from '97 :p

Clark Pace
05-21-2014, 4:18 PM
Here is one reason to for me to try to get a free(legal) program. The company you work for may not shell out any money even though you may need it!