PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lacquer finish

Joe Shinall
05-20-2014, 11:51 PM
I have a can of Minwax brushing lacquer and I just used it yesterday to do a desk. Well yesterday I stripped the top of an old table that had a bad finish on it so I could restain and refinish for a friend. I think it's white oak or maybe birch. Anyways, I stained it early this morning and then applied a coat of the brushing lacquer tonight. It will not lay flat. There are ripples all in the finish. My questions are:

1. Did I apply lacquer too early or could it have been a moisture problem maybe? Should I have let the stain set in longer?

2. If I stripped it again, will the stripper successfully pull the lacquer finish off? (I use Jasco)

3. Or could I use a Random Orbital sander to just sand the lacuqer down smooth enough to try reapplying? (or will it just gum up the paper?)

John TenEyck
05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
1) Did I apply lacquer too early or could it have been a moisture problem maybe? Should I have let the stain set in longer?

Did you use water to neutralize the stripper? If so, you definitely could have had a moisture problem. Beyond that, you might have applied the lacquer too soon over the stain. It's usually best to let stains dry at least 24 hours before proceeding further.

2. If I stripped it again, will the stripper successfully pull the lacquer finish off? (I use Jasco)

KleanStrip or any stripper with methylene chloride in it will take of normal lacquer about as fast as you can brush it on. It also will strip off the stain, so you will have to start over, completely.

3. Or could I use a Random Orbital sander to just sand the lacuqer down smooth enough to try reapplying? (or will it just gum up the paper?)

If the lacquer is really dry it shouldn't gum up the paper. But if water was the original source of the problem I would not take this approach. I'd strip it, let it dry for several days, and then start anew. FWIW, I never use water to neutralize the strippers I use; I use the manufacturers neutralizer or Naptha. That way, there's no water to worry about and I can move on in only a few hours.

John

Scott Holmes
05-21-2014, 5:10 PM
To add to John's advice, Did you properly apply and then wipe off the excess stain (assuming an oil based stain)? If not leaving it overnight to dry will not solve the problem. Stain should be allowed to set for a few minutes then the remainder MUST be wiped off. It's stain not paint.

Joe Shinall
05-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Thanks guys, and to answer the questions I did not neutralize the Jasco with water. I used a water based stain and I did let it sit for about a minute and wiped it off. It seemed completely dry when i put the lacquer on but maybe not. That's what I get for being in a rush.

I will strip it and try again. Works out ok because I wasn't really that happy with the color anyways. ;)

steve worcester
05-25-2014, 7:05 PM
The ripples are likely brush marks. Any finish has to remain fluid enough to flatten out. If it is too hot, it drys before it can flow out. If it was sprayed I would tell you to add some retarder, but brushed is meant to be a cure all. Just sand the piece flat with some 320-400 and apply another coat. If it still doesn't flow out flat, sand lightly again until you don't see the marks (flat sheen) and apply another coat. At that point you will sand and buff.
With the exception of a very experienced sprayer, I have rarely seen a coat of finish that didn't need some more work right off the gun.