PDA

View Full Version : Holy Hail

Brad Adams
05-20-2014, 9:48 PM
Wow, it just got done hailing for about ten minutes straight. Roof is shot, windows broken, and cars dented. It's not going to be a good day for the insurance companies in my town.

George Bokros
05-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Wow! Hail is quite damaging to roofs and any cars outside.

Matt Krusen
05-20-2014, 10:26 PM
We may get some pretty bad hail here tonight too. My fiancé's car is on the street because the garage is currently being converted to my shop. This could end badly...

Shawn Pixley
05-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Yikes! Mother nature is a cruel mistress.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-21-2014, 12:26 AM
You have my sympathies. I think hail is the worst part of these storms, it can be so devastating. A series of hail storms cost me enough to permanently change my financial future last year. Horrible stuff.

Jim Laumann
05-21-2014, 1:25 PM
We had golf ball sized hail here in S Mn on May 7. I've had the insurance aduster out - 100% complete replacement of all 5 roofs on my place (house and 4 buildings - former farmstead). There are holes in the vinyl siding, metal soft/facia dented, gutter guards are smashed.

My PU and Blazer were outside at the time, but since they are advanced in years, I am not persuing a claim on them - but the roofs - heck yes.

Here is a pic of a couple of the hail stones - these I got wifelet to pick up after the storm - they had been on the ground for 45 minutes, and likely had some melt occur to them.

The good part of this storm is that it occured before crops/gardens were up, and before trees leafed out.

Jim

Rick Potter
05-22-2014, 3:30 AM
WOW,

I promise not to complain about our weather, or lack of it, for at least a week.

Rick Potter

Steve Rozmiarek
05-22-2014, 8:52 AM
Seeing Jim's golf balls got me thinking. We had a storm here several years ago that was so bad that it killed tree strips, peeled the bark off, killed deer, and basically beat everything back to bare dirt. I Had a crop insurance guy ask me what was planted in that field, he couldn't tell. It was waist high corn. It came in late June 2006, and I still see the damage everyday. Luckily those types of storms are usually pretty small here. It only covered a few square miles.

Dave Anderson NH
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Hail can hurt you if you get caught outside in it. In late June 1969 I was on a day patrol north of Tam Ky which is north of Chu Lai in Vietnam. We watched storm cloud approaching from the west and the sky change to a light green, yes green. The temperature dropped about 20+ degrees and the wind came up. The next thing we knew it was hailing with the ice being about the diameter of a quarter. We were out in the open and there was no where to hide. Fortunately we were wearing helmets and flak jackets. We took our flak jackets off and draped them over our shoulders so our arms weren't exposed. It was all over in about 3-4 minutes. We were all bruised and mighty sore, but fortunately no one was seriously hurt. I hate to think of what it would have been like without the helmets and flak jackets. I suspect we would have been calling in a medevac for a couple of unconscious people.

Kevin Bourque
05-22-2014, 6:37 PM
We just had a hail storm pass through here about an hour ago. The stones were fairly big but no broken windows anywhere. The barn down at the end of the driveway has a metal roof. I'm glad I wasn't inside.

Peter Stahl
05-24-2014, 8:27 AM
We had hail here on Thursday. Never saw hail this big around here. knocked a lot of leaves off tree but didn't break any windows or dent any cars that I know of.

Rick Moyer
05-24-2014, 8:50 PM
About 15 miles from here there was a hail storm yesterday that produced anywhere from golf ball size to baseball size, and even some reports of grapefruit size hail. The large hospital in that area had major damages to the cars in the parking lots, as well as many buildings and trees. I did not witness this myself but have seen pictures. Reports that thousands of cars severely damaged, most expect months to get repairs completed. Never had seen anything like in in 50+ years of living in this area. I saw one picture today that showed a stone held in an adult's hand that covered their palm, and that was an hour after the fact. Probably measured 3-4" across. Couldn't believe it.