PDA

View Full Version : Cradle for Gail

Don Baer
06-27-2005, 4:18 PM
Gail;
I noticed on another thread that you were looking for plans/Photo's of Cradle's. Here is one I made for my Grand daughter. When She was born last August. She used it until she was 6 months old. I am sure that it is rather crude compared to the ones you are planning on making but it might give you some ideas. I wanted it to be big enough so she wouldn't grow out of it too soon and also wanted her to be able to use it for her dolls when she gets older
I had a sheet of 3/4 birch laying around that I wanted to use. . The Key to this one is the bottom demension. My wife found a changing table pad that was 15" x 30" so that is the demension of the bottom. The sides are 13 1/2 x 30 and the ends are 24 x 24. It is fastened by dowels and glued on both ends. The bottom has the sides cut at an angle so it just wedges in. I finished it natural with a ploy finish.

Like I said I am sure with your skills you can do better.

Maybe some others can post there creations on this thread

Gail O'Rourke
06-27-2005, 4:49 PM
That is adorable...I hadn't thought of doing solid side with cut outs...I will keep that in mind. I bought the cradle pad already so that I could work backwards from that as you did...

Anyone else have any pics?

thanks!

Robby Phelps
06-27-2005, 5:19 PM
Gail,

I saw this cradle on the cover of a Lee Valley catalog and have shown it to lots of folks. It is truly fantastic. It would also be a lot of fun to make.

Bruce Page
06-27-2005, 6:19 PM
That is adorable...I hadn't thought of doing solid side with cut outs...I will keep that in mind. I bought the cradle pad already so that I could work backwards from that as you did...

Anyone else have any pics?

thanks!

Hello Gail,
Here is a link to one that I did two years ago.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=2801

Larry Norton
06-27-2005, 6:58 PM
Gail, here's one I built and donated to the Crisis pregnancy center. I used Norn's plans, but used dovetails instead of box joints. It was the first time I used my Keller dovetail jig .I had a full head of hair before I started!:)

Todd Burch
06-27-2005, 8:47 PM
Gail, here's a cradle I finished a couple months ago. It's the second one in this style that I've made. This one has a yellow wash of milk paint over birdseye pine and includes a screen print I did too. My neice's name (my sister's daughter) is Madeleine and she was born on Feb 10th this year (thus, "210"). It just so happened that me and my sister's grandfather lived at "210 Harry Jr." street, and he always answered the phone "210". It just fit.

I have another style I've made on my website, in the Gallery under Household Items, plus a picture of the original 50's style cradle I made.

It's pretty easy to make. Let me know if you want plans.

Todd

Bill Esposito
06-27-2005, 9:08 PM
This is a much modified Rockler Heritage Cradle. Cherry, Solid head/foot boards instead of the frame and panel construction in the plans, Through M&T instead of screws in the side rails, and 30 fairly close looking spindles :).

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/cradle7.jpg

Bart Sharp
06-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Here are my two. The first one is pine with poly. The second is white oak and walnut with shellac. It breaks down into four pieces (two uprights, one stretcher, and the box) for storage or moving. Both were clean-sheet designs, and both suffered from proportion problems (among any number of construction goofs that are conveniently hidden in web-size pictures :))

I like the kind that hangs from uprights better, but that's just personal preference.

Gail O'Rourke
06-28-2005, 3:47 PM
Thanks everybody, these are all awesome....now I will have to decide. decisions decisions.... If they come out half as nice as these, I will be pleased.

Martin Lutz
06-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Gail, Here is the cradle I did for our new baby. (Sawyer). It is Walnut, sorry I dont have pictures of it with the finish but it came out great. Sawyer was born in early May so it has been getting good use. The rails are bent laminations and the corners are angles box joints. the pins are Mesquite. the cradle Swings on a pair of sealed bearings around a metal pin. Since these pics I added a plunger type locking mechanism to keep it from swinging on occasion. Also, everything but the basket breaks down for storage.

It was fun to do.

Don Slaughter
06-29-2005, 5:41 PM
I think you've seen this one Gail.