PDA

View Full Version : What's the best router I can purchase in store from Lowes/Home Depot?

Tony Haukap
05-20-2014, 4:21 PM
I'm looking for a full-size, plunge base router... wouldn't be opposed to a battery power router (do they still make those? I have an old Porter-Cable, I bought because I saw the Router Workshop guys use it!).
I know a lot of their products are made expressly for those stores and while they may have a similar model number, there will be an extra letter or number suffix that denotes a model made to Lowes/Home Depot specifications (ie. lessor quality to meet a price point). So is there anything they carry from the major manufactures that is of 'professional quality.'.
It's a gift, so price is not an issue.

Loren Woirhaye
05-20-2014, 4:48 PM
DeWalt makes some good plungers. Black and Decker has a patent on the through-the-post dust collection. I've owned both Dw621 and Dw625 routers and they have worked well.

Home Depot may be able to sell you the Triton, which has some useful features for router table use.

Moses Yoder
05-20-2014, 4:53 PM
This Bosch package from Lowes gets my vote. BOSCH ROUTER (http://www.lowes.com/pd_136633-353-1617EVSPK_4294607804__?productId=1014955&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=)

Jerry Wright
05-20-2014, 4:58 PM
I purchased the big Milwaukee 3.5 hp router online through Home Depot with free shipping to the store. At the time (15 mo ago) they had by far the best price.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-20-2014, 5:08 PM
I'm just curious, why you are limiting yourself the big box stores. If it's a gift, what about an equivalent value in a gift card. That way he/she can buy the router THEY like, wheher it be the "best" value or not, etc. Maybe they perfer red to yellow, and that would be the deciding factor. I know personally, I would rather get a 100 buck gift card, and buy myself a Bosch Colt vice getting a 130 buck DeWalt even if I had to fork over the extra 30 dollars. JUST AN EXAMPLE. Not dissing the DeWalt. Just a thought. Buying tools is a tough choice. Buying someone else a tool is harder. Unless you know what they want.

Robert Parent
05-20-2014, 5:13 PM
I have a half dozen Bosch routers...... Sooooo what would be my choice? Bosch.

Robert

Tony Haukap
05-20-2014, 6:33 PM
Just a thought. Buying tools is a tough choice. Buying someone else a tool is harder. Unless you know what they want.I can understand that! I was helping someone and they were using a cheap China made router and you could smell the motor overheating... I thought I would get them a *real* router since he has some more work to do using it and this one isn't cutting it! And Lowes/Home Depot are about the only tool stores left around here, maybe Ace Hardware... I don't consider what Sears sells in power tools 'pro-grade' anymore.

johnny means
05-20-2014, 7:32 PM
There really aren't any options besides what the Borgs carry. Unless your stepping up to Festool.

Anyway, my vote is for Bosch. I have and heavily use a lot of routers. It's the only brand in my collection that hasn't shown any major flaws or weaknesses.

Peter Quinn
05-20-2014, 7:57 PM
What size are you looking for?

Chris Padilla
05-20-2014, 8:17 PM
Cisco Nexus 7700. ;)

Peter Quinn
05-20-2014, 8:46 PM
Cisco Nexus 7700. ;) Do they sell those at your local Borg? There is nothing that fast at my local borg

Myk Rian
05-20-2014, 9:31 PM
Cisco Nexus 7700. ;)
Ay-yup. One in every crowd. :)
I have a PC 890 PK and a smaller Craftsman. Quite frankly, the C-man is a nice machine.
I keep the PC in the table.

Michael Yadfar
05-20-2014, 9:39 PM
Triton. It's an online exclusive, but you can select to pick it up in store. It's supposed to be the best for its value

Charles Taylor
05-20-2014, 9:41 PM
I'd vote for Bosch, DeWalt, or Porter-Cable. I have three Porter-Cables and one Bosch.

Earl McLain
05-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Bosch 1617 EVS-PK. Enough power to do almost everything except huge bits (even those for a few passes here and there). Despite its size, it's managable enough to be okay for light work too. With the fixed and plunge bases, 1/4" and 1/2" collets offers some variety. Under the plate on the fixed base, you'll find the PC 690 screw pattern tapped--so any base plate or fixture drilled for the 690 easily fits. (no disrespect, but i don't get along well with my 690, but almost every router accessory made can be gotten in the 690 screw pattern). The maple handles offer (at least to me) excellent grip, especially in hot weather. Plunge base works well, smooth and accurate. I've come to like the Bosch guide bushings, but they are kind of abnormal--so just buy a 690 plate and use the "690" style guide bushings. The edge guide, while not included, is a worthy piece of equipment to add on with nice micro-adjust.

Other than that--i have no opinion.

earl

Vince Shriver
05-20-2014, 10:29 PM
I have the 690, Bosch Colt and the Milwaukee big boy. The PC is kind of a dinosaur: inconvenient switch location on the top, no soft start - wants to jump out of your hand when fired up, no collet hold (still uses 2 wrenches), an led light would be nice. Good router, just old school. Nobody mentioned the Rigid - I thought it was pretty nice the couple times I used one; it has some nice features.

Jak Kelly
05-21-2014, 9:06 AM
I have a Dewalt and a Porter Cable (PC). I like both. One of the main reasons I choose both of those brands is because they are both under the "Stanley Bostich" corporate umbrella. Which means that any of those Dewalt Service Centers can fix, repair, or replace. The Dewalt Service Centers also offer re-build programs, somewhere around 2/3rds the price of new, where they go through the whole tool and guarantee it for 6 months. But there are a lot of good, competitive choices to be had out there.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-21-2014, 9:15 AM
This Bosch package from Lowes gets my vote. BOSCH ROUTER (http://www.lowes.com/pd_136633-353-1617EVSPK_4294607804__?productId=1014955&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=)

I have one of these and I like it.. a lot.

Marc Ward
05-21-2014, 9:40 AM
I'm looking for a full-size, plunge base router... wouldn't be opposed to a battery power router (do they still make those? I have an old Porter-Cable, I bought because I saw the Router Workshop guys use it!)
I know a lot of their products are made expressly for those stores and while they may have a similar model number, there will be an extra letter or number suffix that denotes a model made to Lowes/Home Depot specifications (ie. lessor quality to meet a price point). So is there anything they carry from the major manufactures that is of 'professional quality.'

Suggestion: put your location in your profile so we can help you better.

If you have a Menards close by, they carry the big Triton at $249. I have both of their routers and love them. I use the smaller one for hand held and the bigger in my table.

Greg Hines, MD
05-21-2014, 10:34 AM
I have two Porter-Cable router sets, the 690 and the 890, both with dual bases, and I like them. The borgs sometimes sell a DeWalt with three bases, fixed, plunge, and D-handle, and those are good machines as I understand it. I would certainly suggest a dual base if you are just getting into routing.

Doc

Matt Meiser
05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Cisco Nexus 7700. ;)

Nah, go pfSense. Great open source router you can run on even an old PC. I run mine on a Netgate single board computer.

Seriously if price doesn't matter, look at the Festool OF1400. Its got a lot of really nice features.

Rich Engelhardt
05-22-2014, 7:28 AM
No thread about a router would be complete w/out a recommendation to visit Pat Warner's web site- patwarner.com.

Joe Fuscaldo
05-22-2014, 10:15 AM
+1 for the Bosch 1617 which is sold at all the big box locations.

Recently made this move and have been using it with white side bits, no regrets and a star performer. Fine woodworking gave the 1617evspk their authors choice best overall rating as well. At 230$ it's a good price point and lowes has had a lot of 10% off coupons lately that could help you even more.

Ellen Benkin
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Try this website. Pat Warner knows all there is to know about routers.
http://www.patwarner.com/

Julie Moriarty
05-22-2014, 12:05 PM
I have a Bosch 1615EVS (3.25 HP) that's about 20 years old. It's always been my table router and has seen a lot of use. Never had a problem with it. I have a DeWalt 621 that's about 10 years old but doesn't get a lot of use. Still, no problems there. A few of years ago I purchased a Bosch PR20EVSNK and it gets a lot of use. My only complaint is the thumb screw height adjustment but as far as everything else, it's well made.

If your friend does a lot of work with a router, I'd stay away from a battery powered one. They are more for light duty. And, since price is no object, you might add a decent quality bit or two. A good quality carbide bit goes a long way in easing the workload on the router, making cleaner cuts and keeping the woodworker happy. Bit brands I use are Freud, Amana and CMT.

Charles Li
05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Nah, go pfSense. Great open source router you can run on even an old PC. I run mine on a Netgate single board computer.

Seriously if price doesn't matter, look at the Festool OF1400. Its got a lot of really nice features.

If you want a bit more appliance like features check out Untangle! It's more than just a firewall so a bit more processing power though I run mine on a dual atom. pfSense is great but can't do multiple pptp sessions which is why I switched :(. No problem running on an old PC as well which I do for my Dad and relatives.

Unfortunately for this thread I know a lot more about the other routers as it relates to my day job. I'm a newbie to woodworking. I did go through the same search though and ended up with the Dewalt DW618PK instead of the Bosch. Some people liked the dust collection and micro adjustments better on the Dewalt. The Dewalt combo comes with the dust port adapter while you have to get it separately with the Bosch. I'm sure it's one of those personal things where you won't know what you like until you use them. I personally agree with the whole BORG route if it's a gift. A computer or music gear gift will probably miss the mark for me and being able to return it for something I'd prefer is a nice option. The thoughtfulness of the gift still comes through and the receiver can still get what they want even if it's something totally different. Everyone wins!

John Hays
05-22-2014, 5:04 PM
Ay-yup. One in every crowd. :)
I have a PC 890 PK and a smaller Craftsman. Quite frankly, the C-man is a nice machine.
I keep the PC in the table.

Agreed, if you haven't test driven one of the newer Craftsman routers lately, then you're doing yourself a disservice. Are they pro grade? Perhaps not, but they have quite the bang for the buck. I've had the 27683 for almost two years now and it's taken everything I've thrown at it without flinching. It mostly stays in my table, but does a great job with freehand as well.

I heard and read all of the Craftsman bashing out there before I made my purchase, but decided to take a chance anyway and I'm very glad I did. In fact, the only thing this router lacks is more horse power, but I don't need to spin a 3" bit, either.

If you're looking for pro grade, then go out and search for that. But if you just want to give a great router to someone who needs one, then you really can't go wrong with the 27683.

Mike Wilkins
05-22-2014, 5:10 PM
I was just in Lowes earlier today walking through the tool section and thought about your question. I currently have 2 of the Dewalt router combo kits and 2 separate Bosch models. I would not hesitate to purchase either one for my own use.

Curt Harms
05-23-2014, 8:27 AM
A couple more to consider - I don't have either so first hand experience. If budget is not too much of an issue, consider Milwaukee. If budget is an issue, maybe the Hitachi kits found at Lowes.

Mark Clemmens
05-23-2014, 11:43 AM
They may or may not carry it in the store, but I have the Makita RP2301FC (3-1/4 hp) plunge router, and I love it. Awesome template bushing system (although you have to purchase the insert plate separately), built in led lights, very good build quality, very smooth plunge, and having the on/off trigger switch on the handle is a huge plus in my opinion.

glenn bradley
05-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Cisco Nexus 7700. ;)

One could argue that this is actually a multilayer switch and that an ASR might be more appropriate for routing functions but, neither is available at the Lowe's or Home Depot near me. :D

Curt Harms
05-24-2014, 8:08 AM
Agreed, if you haven't test driven one of the newer Craftsman routers lately, then you're doing yourself a disservice. Are they pro grade? Perhaps not, but they have quite the bang for the buck. I've had the 27683 for almost two years now and it's taken everything I've thrown at it without flinching. It mostly stays in my table, but does a great job with freehand as well.

I heard and read all of the Craftsman bashing out there before I made my purchase, but decided to take a chance anyway and I'm very glad I did. In fact, the only thing this router lacks is more horse power, but I don't need to spin a 3" bit, either.

If you're looking for pro grade, then go out and search for that. But if you just want to give a great router to someone who needs one, then you really can't go wrong with the 27683.

I haven't used the current Craftsman routers but did play with one in a Sears store. If the collet is up to snuff, that kit seems like all a non-pro user needs. I was really surprised by the plunge base, it seemed as smooth as a DW621 and WORLDS better than the plunge base that came with my old P-C 690. Lord knows Sears has sold their share of crappy power tools in the past -- my first router (when I didn't know any better) was a red & black Craftsman with the end of the motor shaft milled to form the collet. If the collet gets damaged, you don't replace the collet, you replace the router. That model was also known for spontaneous cooling fan disintegration. It seems like Sears is trying to get back to their good affordable tools for the homeowner roots. Too little too late?

Loren Woirhaye
05-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Craftsman handheld power tools have tended to be clunky from an ergonomic point of view but they may be improving. I had an angle grinder badged craftsman. It was the same as the DeWalt and a good tool. I stripped the gears but that was my fault. The newer Craftsman routers look sleek and maneuverable. I'd use one.

Picking out a router is kind of like picking out a cordless drill - it's best if you can hold it in your hands to see how it feels.

Jason White
05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
If you can still find an older-model Bosch 1617 combo kit, buy it! They used to come with a dust collection shroud/port, but now you have to buy it as an accessory on Amazon. I also purchased and installed Pat Warner's clear sub-base on it (and all of my other routers for that matter).

I'm looking for a full-size, plunge base router... wouldn't be opposed to a battery power router (do they still make those? I have an old Porter-Cable, I bought because I saw the Router Workshop guys use it!)
I know a lot of their products are made expressly for those stores and while they may have a similar model number, there will be an extra letter or number suffix that denotes a model made to Lowes/Home Depot specifications (ie. lessor quality to meet a price point). So is there anything they carry from the major manufactures that is of 'professional quality.'

Wayne Jolly
05-26-2014, 2:56 PM
In the last year or so I have bought one router package from each of the big box stores. I don't remember which router came from which store, but I bought the Bosch 1617-EVSPK, and the Miluakee 5625 kit. Both are fine routers. The only thing I can say is that the Bosch will require the purchase of proprietary guide bushings if you should need them, where the Miluakee uses the "standard" type like my Porter Cable 690. For that reason only the Bosch is in my router table.

Wayne

Jim Andrew
05-26-2014, 9:12 PM
Menards sells the Hitachi M12vc, the kit inclues the plunge base and bushings, has soft start and speed control. I have 2, and they are much smoother than the PC's I have.

Jason White
05-26-2014, 9:28 PM
Actually, there are lots of aftermarket plastic sub-bases available that will allow you to use the standard PC-type rub collars on almost any router, including the Bosch 1617 (which is part of the reason I purchased one from Pat Warner for my Bosch). Rockler sells a pre-drilled version that fits several brands of routers, too.

In the last year or so I have bought one router package from each of the big box stores. I don't remember which router came from which store, but I bought the Bosch 1617-EVSPK, and the Miluakee 5625 kit. Both are fine routers. The only thing I can say is that the Bosch will require the purchase of proprietary guide bushings if you should need them, where the Miluakee uses the "standard" type like my Porter Cable 690. For that reason only the Bosch is in my router table.

Wayne

Curt Harms
05-27-2014, 8:38 AM
Actually, there are lots of aftermarket plastic sub-bases available that will allow you to use the standard PC-type rub collars on almost any router, including the Bosch 1617 (which is part of the reason I purchased one from Pat Warner for my Bosch). Rockler sells a pre-drilled version that fits several brands of routers, too.
'zactly. Any router that has a screw-on base plate can use the P-C style bushings.

Wayne Jolly
05-27-2014, 11:19 AM
I know sub-bases can be bought for the Bosch (or practically any router for that matter), but that was actually my point. It's just something extra you might have to purchase when you buy a Bosch. That's all. Not a big deal, but just something to think about.

X