PDA

View Full Version : Making a parking spot.

Joe Tonich
05-22-2003, 6:42 PM
I dug the holes for the posts so I can move my fence over for a place to park my pop-up camper. After I get the fence moved I am going to kill all the grass & weeds and put down that anti-weed fabric and mulch. The spot is right next to my driveway and I need it to look good also. Do you think the mulch is a good idea or have any suggestions on how to do this? I'm probably going to have to back it in somewhat close and then manuver it to where it will belong by hand as SWMBO wants the front of the fence (facing the street) left up to block the view.

Thanks,

Joe - who thought he had all the yardwork done LAST week:(

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-22-2003, 8:18 PM
Joe, if this area is adjacent to your Driveway, why not use Rock/Gravel? Eradicating the weed and using the Weed Barrier is a good idea in any event, but mulch will have to freshened up yearly to keep it looking good, and it is an organic,so it will decompose over time as well. I checked out some Mulch recently that is made from reclaimed tires, is is becoming popular for Playground Areas. They have it dyed in several colors, and the nice thing is it meshed well and doesn't get move around like regular hardwood/Pine/Cypress Mulch, and it doesn't breakdown and decompose over time. I had a Popup camper a few years ago, and I was able to manuver it by hand with the wheel on the Tongue Jack fairly easily...............but that was on my concrete driveway. I would imagine moving the camper by hand in mulch would be a pretty tough task. It will also be a little soft during wet weather, and gravel would pack down better, and provide better drainage during wet periods. Just my 2 cents worth. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well for you! ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-22-2003, 8:22 PM
..........Joe, it would probably be a good idea to install some sort of border, or edging, to contain the mulch material, to keep it from getting spread out of the containment area. Precast Concrete borders are all the rage nowdays, and they look good, install quickly, and last forever. The best thing is they are porous to a certain degree, which eliminates the edging from "Frost Heave", like so many plastic/metal edgings are famous for. Just another thought for ya..................have a great Holiday Weekend!

Joe Tonich
05-22-2003, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
Joe, if this area is adjacent to your Driveway, why not use Rock/Gravel? Eradicating the weed and using the Weed Barrier is a good idea in any event, but mulch will have to freshened up yearly to keep it looking good, and it is an organic,so it will decompose over time as well. I checked out some Mulch recently that is made from reclaimed tires, is is becoming popular for Playground Areas. They have it dyed in several colors, and the nice thing is it meshed well and doesn't get move around like regular hardwood/Pine/Cypress Mulch, and it doesn't breakdown and decompose over time.

Kevin,
Where would I find the reclaimed tire mulch? I'll check on the gravel idea w/my neighbors. It might work.

Thanks,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Joe, I can find out who the manufacturer of the Tire Mulch is and post it Friday. I am not sure if it is a local (St. Louis Area) product, or if it is available nationwide. A fellow employee just used it for his young daughters play set area, and he purchased it in the St. Louis area. It is available in several colors that I know of, including red, brown, and blue. He bought the blue, and although it looks a little gaudy, I guess it is fine for a play area, although I am not sure I would want blue mulch in front of my home! :D Let me dig up what I can about this product, and post tommorrow.

After a quick internet search, I found this site, and others, but this sounds familiar. The website has a store locater, maybe it is available near you. Check it out, it is a neat product.

http://www.rubberificmulch.com/ http://www.stopmulching.com/