PDA

View Full Version : Workbench In SE Michigan

Jim Young
06-27-2005, 2:57 PM
I have been considering buying a premade workbench (don't want to spend a year building one). I am currently considering the Diefenbach bench. Have also considered the Sborjberg(sp?) and Ulmia. I was wondering if there is anyone in the Detroit area that has one of these benches that I could look at. If there is a brand out there that I am missing let me know too ( I don't care for the Veritas). TIA.

Ken Garlock
06-27-2005, 3:16 PM
Jim, let me make a suggestion. I know that several SMC'rs have gone to the Bally Block Co. in eastern Pennsylvania and bought some very nice bench tops for almost nothing.

Since you are in Michigan, why not check into the Michigan Maple Block Co., a partner of Bally Block, may be even owned by Bally. If you went there in person, you might be able to get a factory second with only cosmetic damage. From what i can see, they are located in Petosky Michigan( where ever that is.)

No it is not a bench as such, but a good bench top is about half the battle. :) I'll bet that you could frame up a nice base in a single weekend, and install a face vise the following week.

Doug Shepard
06-27-2005, 8:56 PM
... From what i can see, they are located in Petosky Michigan( where ever that is.) ...

We have the curious habit here in MI of using our hand as a state map. Petosky would be roughly between the knuckles on the outside of your LH ring finger. Northville - where Jim is at - is down near the bottom RH corner about an inch up from your wrist and an inch in from the edge. Petosky is one of the nicer vacation areas though and well worth the trip.
Just a little Michigan geography lesson for the hand-map challenged.:D :D

Good advice though on getting the top pre-fabbed.

Greg Mann
06-27-2005, 9:06 PM
We have the curious habit here in MI of using our hand as a state map. .:D :D

LOL, Doug, I love that blank stare people give you when you show them where you live on your hand map. You are right about Petosky, though. I may need to go up there and check on a pre-fabbed top myself, but I'll have to throw the kayak on the rack first. :D I could stop and see how John Bailey is doing on his workshop in East Jordan (half way between the knuckles on the ring finger), but then, I would need to bring another kayak. :cool:

Greg

Brian Buckley
06-27-2005, 9:07 PM
Jim,

You might want to take a look at the Lie-Nielsen bench. They will make them to your height, length and vise style. I was up there last month and was amazed at the quality. Am waiting for mine to arive sometime this summer.

Brian

Doug Shepard
06-27-2005, 9:09 PM
LOL, Doug, I love that blank stare people give you when you show them where you live on your hand map....
Greg

That blank stare is a dead giveaway that they're not born and raised in MI;)

Bill Simmeth
06-27-2005, 9:14 PM
Jim,

You might want to take a look at the Lie-Nielsen bench. <SNIP>Am waiting for mine to arive sometime this summer.

BrianNow there's a drive-by gloat if I ever saw one! Congrats on the LN bench. I saw one at their booth at a WW show this winter and loved it. Maybe some day... Please post pics when it arrives.

Jim Young
06-27-2005, 9:48 PM
I saw an add a while back about their benches. Looked through their web site and it doesn't have the benches. Maybe I'll give them a call.

Jim,

You might want to take a look at the Lie-Nielsen bench. They will make them to your height, length and vise style. I was up there last month and was amazed at the quality. Am waiting for mine to arive sometime this summer.

Brian

Steve Ash
06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Here is a link Jim
www.waldmannbenches.com (http://www.waldmannbenches.com)

Steve Ash
06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
That blank stare is a dead giveaway that they're not born and raised in MI;)
Here is one for you ...I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for 22 years, You use you right hand over top of the left one and extend the pinkie finger to represent Houghton/Hancock area.

Greg Mann
06-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Here is one for you ...I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for 22 years, You use you right hand over top of the left one and extend the pinkie finger to represent Houghton/Hancock area.

And your thumb is the garden peninsula. ;)

Steve Ash
06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
And your thumb is the garden peninsula. ;)
Wow...that's weird. I lived on the Garden Peninsula for those 22 years, you know the U.P. like the back of your hand:D

Frank Lopez
06-28-2005, 1:31 PM
Steve,

I knew there was something I liked about you. Love the U.P.... escpecially during October and November.

Jim,
I might.. and I stress might be heading up to Harrisville in a few weeks on a camping trip. All depends in my wife thinks she can hold of on going into labor. If you decide to go the route of getting a top in Petosky and the price is reasonable I might be interested as well. If thats the case, I can certainly bring back two, just as easy as I can bring back one.

lou sansone
06-28-2005, 2:08 PM
hi jim

I have a ulmia bench and it is really pretty nice. I have also made my own bench and it is also pretty decent. the diefenbach benches are about the best you can get IMHO. I would stay away from the solberg (sp) they look cheap and are cheap as compared to the two others that I have mentioned. If you are out my way ( ct ) stop in and check them out. but for now here are a couple of photos
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18204

lou

Jeff A. Smith
06-28-2005, 2:32 PM
Jim,

Brian

Hey Brian...

Please elaborate -- what's so special about the Lie Nielsen bench? Just looking at the email they sent me some time ago, they looked like normal benches -- but then I haven't seen one in person and you have. I know if they're anything like their planes, it'd be a real showpiece -- yet the pictures I received didn't really look different than perhaps an Ulmia bench. What was it that caused you to order one vs. an Ulmia or a Diefenbach?

Thanks!
Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Jeff A. Smith
06-28-2005, 2:37 PM
I have been considering buying a premade workbench (don't want to spend a year building one). I am currently considering the Diefenbach bench. Have also considered the Sborjberg(sp?) and Ulmia. I was wondering if there is anyone in the Detroit area that has one of these benches that I could look at. If there is a brand out there that I am missing let me know too ( I don't care for the Veritas). TIA.

I've been to Gabi's house in Denver where she sells the Diefenbach benches. They are made by her family in Germany. They are extremely nice benches. I have always thought that if I were able to buy a bench, I'd get one from her. I can't see a deficiency in any aspect of her benches -- and you can configure one about any way you'd like -- with or without tool trays, drawers, cabinets, vise options, etc.

Another interesting bench that I would consider (it's a little less $ than the Diefenbach) is the Veritas bench (from lee valley) with the cast iron base. Those just look cool!

Jeff Smith
Athens AL

Mike Sheppard
06-28-2005, 2:53 PM
Jim
Just got a flier from Woodcraft, theirs are going on sale 7/1 you might check them out. I don't have but think they do at the store in Canton.
Mike