PDA

View Full Version : Jack in the pulpit

Moses Yoder
05-19-2014, 7:38 PM
We walked about 3 miles this afternoon at MEYER BROADWAY PARK (http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/MosesYoder/story/25651) (Click on stories link to see more pictures). We found a jack-in-the-pulpit which for some reason those have always fascinated me. I always expect a fairy to pop out.

Larry Frank
05-19-2014, 7:51 PM
Spring is a great time in the upper midwest. After such a tough winter, it is great to see the flowers. Personally, I have been facinated by the bleeding hearts flowers. But, they are always pretty ....

Myk Rian
05-19-2014, 8:32 PM
My Wife has had them in her flower bed for several years. Nice flowers.

Larry Edgerton
05-20-2014, 7:45 AM
Lady slippers too.......

Larry

Sam Murdoch
05-20-2014, 10:39 AM
I love jack-in-the-pulpit and fox gloves too but have only had 1 random bloom of each show up in our yard over the years.
As Larry mentions lady slippers I felt compelled to show off :). About 4 years ago I did a big cut and burn of a section of our falling spruce forest that is our back yard.
The next summer we found these -

289697 289698

We have had a field of more than a hundred every year since. My camera can't capture them all in its field of view. And they are spreading still :eek:. What a treat!

This year we found this trillium too.

Pretty exciting. Need to put out the beer traps to keep the slugs off. Slugs don't seem interested in the slippers but the deer are happy to munch off the bloom in one bite.

Enjoy the spring all!

Raymond Fries
05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
I have never seen a live jack-in-the-pulpit but they are pretty cool looking. I love all kinds of flowers. I wish we had a place in the country. My wife got a start from a passion vine at a local shop a couple of years ago and grew it in her garden room. It has very interesting flowers.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-20-2014, 11:35 AM
This year we found this trillium too.

Nice looking trillium!

It's always amazing to discover a mass of rarely-seen native plants in bloom while out on a walk. (I can't say the same for discovering a mass of stinging nettles or other such type of plant!)