PDA

View Full Version : Weird Corel X4 Issue

George M. Perzel
05-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Hi Gang;
I have two computers side by side and use Input Director to allow me to use the same mouse and keyboard for both. This has worked fine for at least three years. About a month ago, I noticed that the scroll wheel would no longer zoom in Corel (X4) on the left computer but was fine on the right computer-both are running the same version of Corel. I changed the mouse-same problem. Tried it on a third computer -all OK. I completely removed Corel,including all user setting and purge computer of any Corel file-then reinstalled. Same problem. Made sure wheel was set zoom in Corel general settings-no change I did the F8 factory reset on Corel-no change. By the way, both computers are running on Win XP and share the same home network. Both have the same virus protection.
Any suggestions-including use of a thermite charge- are welcome-any ideas??
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Bob A Miller
05-19-2014, 10:43 AM
George it almost sounds like a hardware conflict... Just wondering if the problem machine installed any updates recently that would have changed anything behind the scenes. Sometimes auto install can do some interesting things on a PC. Have you tried reinstalling the the mouse software fresh?

I am using corel X4 on an Xp PC for my Gwieke & my wheel mouse still works.

bob

Mike Null
05-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Could it be an issue with Input Director. I use a Belkin KVM to operate an XP and a Win 7. Much the same except I use only one monitor.

Robert Walters
05-19-2014, 7:46 PM
George,

Try Synergy and see if you have the same issue.
Works on Win/OSX/Linux
http://synergy-project.org/?welcome

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-19-2014, 8:00 PM
I have seen bizarre mouse problems completely unrelated to the mouse. Bypass the switch and plug the mouse & keyboard directly into the computer. If the problem still exists, swap the mouse. If it still exists on second mouse, remove any extra devices. If the problem goes away, start adding the devices back on. As odd as it may seem, it may also be faulty memory or a faulty keyboard causing the problem even though the keyboard is working fine.

George M. Perzel
05-20-2014, 6:49 AM
Hi Guys;
many thanks for the suggestions:
1. I tried three different mice, 2 wireless and one wired-same result- no zoom
2. No new hardware was added to either computer
3. Stopped Input Director and used mouse and key board with single computers-still no zoom on left-zoom ok on right-tried with two different mice-same result.
4. Installed Synergy (thanks for link) -mouse and key board work on both but still no zoom on left.
5. Reinstalled mouse software-no change
6. Had double scotch and water-still no change but don't seem to care as much!
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Mike Null
05-20-2014, 7:54 AM
George

Obviously another double is in order.

Martin James
05-20-2014, 9:12 AM
Hi George. Please read up on "windows key bindings"
if you have a keyboard shortcut that controls key binding, then that might be what caused the dezoomification.
On my kvm setup i have to start on of the computers first every time or the screen resolution gets confused...

Cheers Marty

George M. Perzel
05-20-2014, 9:25 AM
Martin;
Thanks for the tip but not sure how it applies. I don't have any special key assignments plus same keyboard is used with both computers-scroll zoom works on one but not the other.
Best Regards,
GeorgeLas
erarts

Kev Williams
05-20-2014, 10:34 AM
3. Stopped Input Director and used mouse and key board with single computers-still no zoom on left-zoom ok on right-tried with two different mice-same result.

I take this to mean you directly connected a mouse and keyboard (more than one) to each computer as Mike suggested, and still no scrollwheel zoom on the left computer?

--Does the scrollwheel on the left computer work for OTHER programs, such as scrolling thru the pages here on the board?

If not, you may have a hardware problem--

If so, try this in Corel: Click TOOLS / OPTIONS / WORKSPACE / DISPLAY ---- towards the bottom, see if "Mouse Wheel" is set for "scroll" or "zoom"-- if it's on scroll, it won't zoom!

Not sure why, but tool settings seem to change themselves- last time for me was the "treat all objects as filled" mysteriously turned itself on...

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Kev beat me to it. I mis-read your note last night and didn't realize your zoom was not working when you scrolled. If the "zoom" option is not selected in Display, one more thing you could try is copying your Corel workspace file from your good computer to the bad computer. I can dig up that location if you need it.

Matt McCoy
05-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Have you tried this?

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_enable_mouse_wheel.mspx?mfr=true

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Which leads to another question. Does the scroll wheel work in other programs? Can you scroll up/down using an internet browser or reading a long text file? If it works in other programs, then the problem is probably in your registry settings and Corel. Trying to copy your good workspace to the bad computer may resolve it.

George M. Perzel
05-20-2014, 2:06 PM
Hi Guys;
Thanks for taking the time to think about this issue-driving me nuts.
1. Scroll works on other programs-scroll text up and down
2. Mike/Kev- have done the DISPLAy-mouse wheel-set to Zoom. I was aware of this setting and tried that at the start of the problem-no luck
3. Matt- mouse does not show up in Device Manager unless its hidden in one of the port setting
I have checked the mouse settings in Control Panel -set to the same on both computers.
4. I did the workspace import from good computer to bad-no change.
Scotch bottle is drifting towards empty-may have to break out the 12 year old stuff..............
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Matt McCoy
05-20-2014, 2:23 PM
Have you disconnected the mouse and deleted the driver? Restart and install the mouse and driver.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Well George, I think you have tried just about everything I would have tried except for mucking around in the registry. That is NOT something I would ever suggest someone to do though. I use my scroll/zoom in Corel all the time and I'm lost without it. If this were my computer, I would back it up and rebuild XP from scratch and be done with it, but I used to rebuild computers for a living in my prior life. That's quick & easy for me to do.

Martin James
05-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Microsoft "Mouse Binding"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.input.mousebinding(v=vs.110).aspx
That is the link to the developer instructions to bind the mouse wheels and buttons to other functions.
If your mouse binding preferences are corrupted, figuring out how to remap the wheel to the way it was might fix it.

hope that helps.

Marty

George M. Perzel
05-24-2014, 5:02 PM
Thanks, Marty
Will give it a go.
Just for further confusion, I installed X5 and have the same problem with that!
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts