PDA

View Full Version : Storing wood turning tools above lathe (chisels, calipers, face plates, etc.)

Wes Billups
05-18-2014, 6:39 PM
I'm just starting to get into turning as my kids are interested in it as well. I've got the tools but am looking for ideas of what you guys use. If you could post pics or links that would be great.

My preference is that the tools are organized but readily accessible. My initial thought was to mount a piece of plywood at a ≈15° angle and then hang everything on it above the lathe. I'm struggling with how to store the chisels as I want the tip to be visible so I can make sure I'm grabbing the correct one.

Thanks,
Wes

Reed Gray
05-18-2014, 7:23 PM
I try to keep the sharp ends covered or away from me. I think I only donated blood that way once. I try to recognize them by handles. You can use magic markers or different colored tapes, and the kids can color them for you. I am in a narrow room, and mine sit flat on the bench. Lower bench is gouges, upper bench is scrapers, spindle tools on the wall.

robo hippy

Dwight Rutherford
05-18-2014, 7:46 PM
I don't like the idea of having to reach across the lathe to get a tool unless you turn it off each time you want a new tool. My tool rack is to my left, have to take a step away from the lathe for a tool.

Harry Robinette
05-18-2014, 8:01 PM
I'm with Dwight on behind the lathe,mine are there but my rack rotates cause a have a lathe on each side.For me it has to be this way so I can get tools from both sides at both lathes. But I don't like reaching over the lathe and I'm trying think of a different way to do mine.

Fred Perreault
05-18-2014, 8:02 PM
I've never stored anything above/behind the lathe that would require reaching across the lathe or a spinning item. The many possible outcomes seem obvious... and painful. :-) :-)

Thom Sturgill
05-18-2014, 8:29 PM
My tools are in racks at each end of a workbench which is behind me while turning. They sit tip up in racks that resemble those made for pool cues. There is a shelf below the lathe and I pull out the three or four tools I plan on using and place them on the shelf butt toward me. Hollowing tool are in a rotating rack about 3-4 ft from the tail end of the lathe where I can get to them when hollowing.

russell dietrich
05-18-2014, 9:02 PM
Wes,
Here is a possible alternative. The tools can be taken out by the handle (pardon the clamp.). If you use an old mike stand, you can adjust the height. You can buy clear tubing from a box store or auto parts store and glue in place to protect aghainst grabbing sharpened points. I glued a turned cup on top to hold my glue and other misc "stuff". Also put cup hooks to hold center finder etc. Can't seem to upload pictures, but will put them in my photo album under my profile.
Russell

Greg A Jones
05-18-2014, 10:39 PM
I have all mine on a peg board directly behind me. Here's a partial pic. Works for me.

Jak Kelly
05-19-2014, 10:14 AM
I made a small rack for mine, last week, nothing too elaborate, mainly used scraps around the shop. I am confined for space in my 2 car garage, my 2 car garage that houses; "momma's car", my motorcycle, grizzly cabinet saw, miter saw bench with built in cabinets mounted to wall, table with drill press and now lathe, 1 deep freeze, 1 refrigerator, 1 Craftsman 50" stainless steel tool box top and bottom, band saw, numerous hand tools.............and a roll around cart, lawn-mower..........you get the idea. So i really do not have the capacity to make a easily accessible or behind my lathe tooling storage for when I am using my lathe. I have to reach over mine to some degree. I would also agree that reaching over is not a good idea, and I may eventually pay for it. But also factoring in that I do not have any hair (I shave my head) never wear loose clothing and so far all of my items have been relatively small. I just don't see it as an extreme hazard. Here is what I made.
Mine can also be set to one side, for easier access, if needed.

Jamie Donaldson
05-20-2014, 10:54 PM
I made a tool caddy for holding my basic set of tools for a specific project. The base is from an old desk chair with rollers, and the tools are held in place with a magnetic knife holder.

Ray Bell
05-20-2014, 11:48 PM
I like that magnet. Good idea.

Lawrence Tarnoff
05-21-2014, 4:48 PM
I have a flip open storage box mounted between the legs of my lathe where I keep chucks, faceplates and the like. Gouges sit in a rack affixed to the front of the box. The rack is just a 2 inch deep piece of 3/4 ply into which I drilled a dozen or so holes. Thus, the gouges are immediately accessible without reaching over the lathe. The longest bowl gouge bottoms out about an inch above the concrete floor.

Larry

John Keeton
05-21-2014, 6:04 PM
Generally, it wouldn't seem a good idea to store overhead anything sharp, heavy or capable of causing injury upon impact. A few years ago, there was a flurry of threads about tool racks and the topic re-emerges often. One design that caught on, and was the inspiration for my tool racks was posted at the link below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137514-Lathe-Tool-Rack (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137514-Lathe-Tool-Racks)

Doug Herzberg
05-22-2014, 10:29 AM

I went with the Folgers/PVC/electrical tape system. Also a magnetic knife rack. Out of the line of fire, within easy reach, heavy tools down low. I do worry about tripping and falling into those gouges, but it hasn't happened yet, despite the mess.

Michael Mills
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
This is what I came up with. About 4.5' long and 14" deep with the doors closed. Using both the inside and outside of the doors I have 16 linear feet of pegboard with 5.5" deep shelves behind them. I can reach any tool in one step.
As far as reaching over the lathe (mine is the Nova 1624) only items such as chucks are behind the headstock. The right hand side shelves holds sanding supplies but I do not have to reach over a spinning item to get to them.

Kyle VanMeter
05-23-2014, 9:45 PM
I am a fan of high density storage. I store my chisels point down on a small rack that is attached to my lathe. I got the idea from an accessory storage tray on a Laguna lathe, but wanted it big enough to hold accessories and chisels.

It currently houses 27 chisels, with enough capacity to practically store 40-45 lathe tools. Each row is organized by type (scrapers, bowl gouges, spindle gouges, etc.) in a specific order so I know which tool I am grabbing.

Kyle VanMeter

Doug Ladendorf
05-24-2014, 7:11 AM
Some great ideas here.

Kyle, what is the spacing on the holes drilled?

Guy Belleman
05-25-2014, 2:45 AM
Wes, I store my tools in tool roll, ones from Woodcraft, but I have to fairly mobile. When actually turning, the two or three tools I am using sit on the lathe bed. Several of the professional turners I took classes from have tools that have a flat side that rest on the bed and don't roll away. If the wood handle doesn't have a flat side, the belt or disk sander puts one on quickly.

Syd Sellers
05-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Wes, one more vote for not reaching across the lathe.... Can you imagine getting twisted up on a spindle...
Here is what I did, I have two lathe so I need to be able to get to the tools easily. You do need to get to know your tools by the handle so be creative with your handles, even color helps.
http://www.rocky-roost-woodturnings.com/wood-turning-blog/tool-holder-lazy-susan.html

Kyle VanMeter
05-25-2014, 4:24 PM
Kyle, what is the spacing on the holes drilled?

Hi Doug,

The holes are spaced 1 3/4" on center, with a couple of exceptions for the larger spindle roughing gouges. Most of the holes are 1" diameter, and a few are slotted to accept wider scrapers and skew chisels.

I have it bolted to my lathe through a couple of existing holes and added four rubber bumpers between the rack and the lathe to reduce the possibility of vibration. I've been using it for about 6 months, and am very happy with the design. It keeps everything at an arms reach from the machine, and I do not have to risk reaching over a spinning workpiece (which can be a bit unnerving depending on the size of the project!)

I considered making a free-standing rack, but floor space in my shop is at a real premium these days.

Kyle VanMeter

Scott Lux
05-26-2014, 6:55 PM
For the tools I use most often, I have a holder by the lathe. Just a piece of scrap, drilled and mounted on a strap hinge.

Robert McGowen
05-26-2014, 9:39 PM
I used to use a magnetic strip, but beware that it will magnetize your tools. Once you try to slide a magnetized 1" scraper across a metal tool rest, you will see what I am talking about!

Jamie Donaldson
05-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Robert, I've heard such warnings in the past, but I've been using this set-up for many years with no problem. I think my magnets are so old that they've lost some of their "juice," and the tools don't even grab metallic grinding dust when sharpening. This may have been more of a problem with older high carbon steels, as HSS tools don't seem to become highly magnetized, and mine have never required degaussing.

Rex Guinn
05-27-2014, 8:06 PM
I took an old computer chair small took the seat off and added a 16" x 3/4" to it with holes around the outside pvc pipe in the holes. I took out most of the tools so you could see it better.