PDA

View Full Version : Power Settings Glass Tube Laser / Potentiometer

Martin James
05-18-2014, 12:37 PM
I working on a shenhui dual tube 900 x 1200.

I would like to understand how to set my laser up so that I protect my tubes from over current and then get consistent power based on the parameters I set for each layer in a given file.

I am old, and new, so please be patient and explain fully assuming that I know nothing.

A step by step of how to set the potentiometers once so they can then be left alone would help.

Do you make a cutting file set to 100% power, turn the pot all the way up, start the job and watch the gauge, then turn it down so that it reads 85% of the maximum manufacturer miliamp rating for the tube? Mark that on the pot, then use 100% power for full power in the layer settings from then on, thusly making your 100% setting 85% of the miliamp rating for the tube?

I think My potentiometers are cross wired. (I have 2 potentiometers side by side for the 2 tubes) I need to verify this by making a file that fires both tubes at the same time and checking to see what happens when I turn down one of the potentiometers to zero. Right now twisting one pot to on, while the other is set to zero, shows power on the opposite gauge. (2 knobs, 2 gauges)

I feel like I should fully understand the power control process before I mess with the potentiometers. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

By the way, the 2 tube system is about $500 extra, I have my table set to 1110mm wide, the heads are set as close as possible. This is a good option if you need different lenses or different power levels. Instead of changing lenses you just change the output in the layer to the other tube.

Thanks for the help Marty

Andrei Georgescu
05-18-2014, 1:39 PM
I just took my chances and turned it at the maximum level. It doesn't seem to mind but I usually set the power below 50% and did a job few days ago at 80%. If it eventually dies I'll let you know asap.