PDA

View Full Version : Sanding in corners

Stephen Tashiro
05-18-2014, 12:29 PM
What's a good electric sander for sanding in corners?

scott vroom
05-18-2014, 12:42 PM
What is your project?

I started a thread awhile ago with the same question. Lotta folks suggested using a multi-tool with that triangular sanding pad attachment. Or doing it by hand (but u did mention electric).

The problem I have with using a full sized power sander in tight corners is the collateral damage from the sander pad edge banging into the adjacent board.

Jerry Miner
05-18-2014, 1:04 PM
Fein Multi-master. Got mine 10 years ago and it's been working hard and doing great ever since.

Moses Yoder
05-18-2014, 1:21 PM
It is best to sand into the corners before the piece is assembled. Any sander will leave a small gap in the corner, even a folded piece of sandpaper. Most power sanders will leave a mark of some sort on the opposing face. Experienced craftsman plan ahead and avoid sanding into a corner.

Stephen Tashiro
05-18-2014, 1:56 PM
What is your project?

My projects are things like shelves or tables whos tops have rims - not "fine woodworking", just "good carpentry". I agree with Moses that its best to sand before the corner is made, but in carpentry, you end up using wood filler after things are made - and there's also glue ooze to sand.

I like the multi-tool type of sander with the triangular shaped pad, but on the inexpensive Harbor Freight variety, I find the side of the sanding pad and the metal backing for the pad mar the surfaces not being sanded. Masking tape on the not-being-sanded surface helps prevent this, but I'd be happier to find a type of pad with properly designed sides. Can anyone tell me what the sides of the sanding pad for the Dewalt mulit-tool look like?

Sam Beagle
05-18-2014, 3:54 PM
I'm a floor refinisher. I have ALOT of experience with corner and detail sanding, there is one sander that stands above all w/o a question, that is the festool DTS400. It's a corner sander, but well above that. The MM is absolutely nothing compared to it. A great 2nd option is the festool RO90. That also has the delta corner pad option. I own every single festool sander, there is nothing comparable.

Calvin Williams
05-18-2014, 4:16 PM
I pretty much sand everything before I assemble so when I do have to sand in corners it is minimal and I take a piece of sticky sandpaper and attach it to a flexible putty knife to get into corners. Works better than my Fein tool with the triangle pad but you did say electric so my answer would be Fein tool since I can't comment on the Festool corner sander. If it's as good as the two Festool sanders I own (which it sounds like it is) I would recommend it. Cheers!!!

Calvin Williams
05-18-2014, 4:17 PM
I was curious how well the DTS400 worked. Thanks!!