PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520 tool rest parts

Fred Perreault
05-18-2014, 8:17 AM
Does anyone know of a good spot to get small parts for the tool rest on my PM 3520? The locking lever mechanism on the tool rest base that locks the elevation of the tool rest has decided to fail. The toothed end of the bolt that tightens against the tool rest shaft is in fine shape and appears to be of iron or steel. But the mating lever that locks over the bolt looks to be of a softer material and has become smooth internally and does not lock into the bolt to tighten or loosen.The unit is about 4 years old, and I do tighten the mechanism with authority, so I imagine that is the reason for the failure. I have found the PM-to-Jet link for the 3520 parts, but it is a rather shabby site, and there does not appear to be that part available..... unless i don't know what I am looking for. Anyone able to send me in the right direction? Thanks

Ed Loudermilk
05-18-2014, 9:25 AM
Hi Fred.
Grizzly offers what you are looking for, I believe. Go to the web site and search "ratcheting handle" and you should find a suitable replacement.
Grainger would likely carry them as well!

Dale Miner
05-18-2014, 9:26 AM
Does anyone know of a good spot to get small parts for the tool rest on my PM 3520? The locking lever mechanism on the tool rest base that locks the elevation of the tool rest has decided to fail. The toothed end of the bolt that tightens against the tool rest shaft is in fine shape and appears to be of iron or steel. But the mating lever that locks over the bolt looks to be of a softer material and has become smooth internally and does not lock into the bolt to tighten or loosen.The unit is about 4 years old, and I do tighten the mechanism with authority, so I imagine that is the reason for the failure. I have found the PM-to-Jet link for the 3520 parts, but it is a rather shabby site, and there does not appear to be that part available..... unless i don't know what I am looking for. Anyone able to send me in the right direction? Thanks

I think a PM has a five year warranty. See if you can google a phone number for warranty and give them a call. My lever failed a few months after purchase, and they sent me a new assembly.

Dale Gillaspy
05-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I agree with Dale. You could also call Craft Supplies, they carry PM and can order it for you. Worst case, those are pretty standard. I've seen them in parts cases at nut and bolt stores.

Reed Gray
05-18-2014, 11:46 AM
After the second time mine failed on my 3520A, I had a friend make one, well 2 actually. Threaded for the hole, and a larger knob on the end to tighten with, but it had a hole drilled in the knob, and a pin through the knob. The pin was not tight, so it would slide down when you were tight. Hard to describe, but very common on bench vises, or maybe one with a levered handle on a pin so you can go 180 degrees with it. I have one like that on my drill press.

robo hippy

Dwight Rutherford
05-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Are these what you are looking for? http://www.mcmaster.com/#control-handles/=s0qqu0
Enco has them also.

Joe Kaufman
05-18-2014, 6:15 PM
I purchaser McMaster-Carr replacements a couple of months ago. The only functional difference was the PM part had a semi - pointed tip which I had ground off because it was chewing away at the cast iron tool post shaft. Can't locate the invoice to give you the part numbers, but they are 3/8-16 thread. I ordered a spare for the tailstock at the same time.

Reed Gray
05-18-2014, 7:24 PM
Thinking back, and I don't think they do this any more, my first one had the end drilled out, and a short piece of brass rod inserted. It wouldn't mar the tool rest posts, and gripped a little better than the steel.

robo hippy

Fred Perreault
05-18-2014, 7:59 PM
Thank you all for the answers to my dilemma. As it happens I found my parts manual and bracket for the 3520b wire cage. The bracket has the same size ratcheting handle so for now I am going the expedited route and using that for a repair. In the meantime I will pursue the many suggestions, starting with the "inexpensive route" warranty solution, and working my way up the list.

Thanks again...........