PDA

View Full Version : Caution on aftermarket spindle spacers.

Larry Edgerton
05-18-2014, 7:05 AM
I recently bought some LHR spindle spacers and noticed that the inside bore does not have a radius at each end. On a quality spindle I have always noticed that there is a small fillet machined into the spindle at the base of the shaft. This is there for a reason, to prevent a stress riser at that point on the spindle. It is a common trick on better racing crankshafts for the same reason.

The reason I mention it is the LHR's will not fit down onto the flat base of the spindle, but rather get caught on the fillet. I chucked them in the metal lathe and cut a small chamfer on each one in no time and they are fine now. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone rebuilding an old shaper that may be missing spacers.

Larry

David Kumm
05-18-2014, 9:32 AM
I have spacers and bushings made at www.woodworkerstoolworks. A machinist can too but as Larry says you need to give him a good one to copy. Dave

Peter Quinn
05-18-2014, 11:03 AM
I recently bought some LHR spindle spacers and noticed that the inside bore does not have a radius at each end. On a quality spindle I have always noticed that there is a small fillet machined into the spindle at the base of the shaft. This is there for a reason, to prevent a stress riser at that point on the spindle. It is a common trick on better racing crankshafts for the same reason.

The reason I mention it is the LHR's will not fit down onto the flat base of the spindle, but rather get caught on the fillet. I chucked them in the metal lathe and cut a small chamfer on each one in no time and they are fine now. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone rebuilding an old shaper that may be missing spacers.

Larry

Got a pic of that, I'm having trouble imagining just what you are discussing? Are you talking about the sort of chamfer at the intersection of vertical and horizontal planes to get them started? I'm looking at my shaper to see if it has a fillet on the shaft base, never noticed that before, not sure what I'm looking for?

David Kumm
05-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Larry, I looked at my various spindles, Martin SCMI and Knapp and while all have the curved fillet- to varying degrees- all are also recessed slightly below the base of the spindle which is ground flat. The spacers sit directly on the base with the fillet slightly below. Might explain why LRH didn't bother. I think the LRH were cheaper than most choices. A full set can cost upwards of $200. Dave

Larry Edgerton
05-18-2014, 4:08 PM
Ya Peter, the intersection of the horizontal and vertical surfaces on the spindle is what I am talking about. A fillet is a small radius at any right angle intersection to stop a stress riser at that location, as with a square cut there would be one a the exact point where the two planes come together. It is common on high dollar crankshafts and then the bearins have to be radiused to match.
Obviously not the same on all machines, but I thought I would throw out a heads up just in case. Not exactly sure what would have happened if I had run it that way.

Larry

Jeff Duncan
05-19-2014, 9:48 AM
Where did you find the LRH set? I looked around a bit as I have to find a set for my T-160 and couldn't find many places that sold them. CG Schmidt has a set but too short for my spindle, which would mean buying 2 sets….$$$. And SCM has them but they're not exactly reasonably priced either.

JeffD

Larry Edgerton
05-19-2014, 1:46 PM
Oella.

Larry