PDA

View Full Version : using corian to machine out a sign

stan kern
05-18-2014, 12:39 AM
http://youtu.be/UQ_ZvAslVII

used a piece of .5 thick corian for a sign ,it machined out very good,nice stuff to work with
Used a v60 .5 dia bit at 55 in/min and cut in .18 in deep at 19k router speed
Also ran a small sign using the laser on a piece of almond coloured masonite

Art Mann
05-18-2014, 9:40 AM
Hey Stan, that turned out really nice. Did you apply paint to the routed area or just leave it natural?

stan kern
05-19-2014, 9:47 AM
I originally was going to paint the letters gold,then the way it machined out i left it alone
and i gave it 4 coats of an exterior finish(not sure if thats required but i did)
If you paint the letters it take a lot of time as you then need to sand and buff the piece back
after removing un-wanted paint
Also did a smaller one .(woodworking 21x8x.5 inches)
i run all my signs through the laser first.
Lasering masonite is great,takes the colour off

http://youtu.be/QLKEzJcAt2s

Art Mann
05-19-2014, 3:16 PM
I was noticing on Keith Outten's website a while back that he uses spray paint to cover the routed area of his Coraian signs and then it looks like he is using some kind of solvent to clean away the paint in the unwanted places. I don't think he has to do any sanding. I am planning to ask him about that when he is feeling better. I only have experience with wood, HDU and PVC sheets. I am anxious to try some Corian type material. By the way, I really appreciate the little tidbits of information on router speed and travel speed. It gives me a place to start.

stan kern
05-20-2014, 10:10 PM
I did a drink holder for a honda van and i just painted the letters and then sanded it off and buffed it back,it actually is not that bad of a job
They show repairs and then just sanding,you could also mask it out ,i have seen that too

http://youtu.be/FBoO1qHb62k corian drink holder for the odyssey 2014

Mike Heidrick
05-26-2014, 7:45 PM
I have had some success masking wood with dollar store contact paper. Worth a try if you dont want to order traditional paint mask. Make sure you get all the adhesive off though before finishing.

dan nelson
05-26-2014, 8:55 PM
When we do corian signage I use a different color corian epoxy to fill in the v carving, just pump it full and resurface it it works great.

Rich Fennessey
05-27-2014, 4:09 AM
I normally just sloppily paint and then use a putty knife to scrape away the excess and then use an ROS to sand it. This normally works great on corian. The only thing you have to watch for is if you have really fine detail and hence the carving is very shallow - you can sand away the detail. I usually cut a little slower with corian - like 60 ipm. The only issue I have is that any large flat areas seem to show tool marks.

Keith Outten
05-27-2014, 7:02 AM
Stan,

Nice work on the Corian signs. You'll get addicted to solid surface material for sign projects, its my favorite for both interior and exterior signs.

Here is a link to my Corian Signs Gallery:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=719

Once I'm back on my feet I have a bunch of Corian pens that I need to engrave and some Corian dye-sublimation jobs that are sitting on my workbench ready to go. I have some more pictures to add to my gallery as soon as I can transfer them from my camera to my computer.

I use both spray paint (rattle cans) and brush on paint for Corian signs and other projects. Most of my signs I spray paint with a rattle can without using a mask. Once the paint dries I sand the surface with a random orbital sander with 80 grit paper. If the sign needs to be polished I use both Trizac and rotary polishing or a combination of the two. ADA signs are required to have a matte finish so 80 grit paper is all that is required.

james mcgrew
05-27-2014, 7:42 AM
Good to see ya Back Kieth !!

Art Mann
05-27-2014, 5:47 PM
Stan,

. . . Once the paint dries I sand the surface with a random orbital sander with 80 grit paper. If the sign needs to be polished I use both Trizac and rotary polishing or a combination of the two.

Shucks! I was hoping for a solvent based process that didn't require sanding. I am also really glad you feel up to passing out good advice again!

Art Mann
05-27-2014, 5:52 PM
When we do corian signage I use a different color corian epoxy to fill in the v carving, just pump it full and resurface it it works great.

Would you share the brand of epoxy you are using and the coloring material? I would like to try that.

Keith Outten
05-27-2014, 10:48 PM
First Picture - Three pen blanks glued together with epoxy that was mixed with white sanding dust from Corian scrap. This lightens the color of the glue joint.

Second Picture - The black band is a machined groove filled with epoxy that I mixed sanding dust from a broken piece of a science lab table top. The white Corian was scrap pieces from the Science Building ADA door signs. The wood was salvaged from the building staircase.

Keith Outten
05-28-2014, 7:31 PM
Good to see ya Back Kieth !!

Jim,

My health has improved beyond belief the last few days but the doctor still has my hands tied behind my back......won't let me do much in my shop for at least another month. I feel great now that I am able to eat again and my sense of taste has returned. I also lost 20 pounds which is a good thing :)

dan nelson
05-30-2014, 6:39 PM
art, plain old dupont corian adheasive

stan kern
06-01-2014, 12:54 AM
I think I would like to try the mask,apply it to the whole area ,machine it, paint it and remove the mask
the sanding is a big job and takes awhile to bring the corian back
It would be interesting to laminate 2 layers and machine down to the second layer (like some laser materials )

stan kern
06-01-2014, 1:08 AM
corian is very difficult to get,the expoxy is worse.
Corian is really not available unless you are a counter top guy,and they aon't let it go either.
Its almost like they are trying to keep all this a kentucky fried chicken recipe to themselves.
Home depot won't even sell sheets

Keith Outten
06-01-2014, 7:07 AM
Stan,

There is a sticky thread at the top of the Sign Design Forum here that has the Dupont contact information that will allow you to get your company registered to purchase Corian.

Your local Dupont Distributor should sell any 1/4" thick Corian sheet and the Dupont adhesive to anyone, you don't have to be a registered installer to purchase these items.

To the best of my knowledge none of the other manufacturers of solid surface material require an installation certification to purchase their materials.