PDA

View Full Version : my new old door. a look at the design. The sustainable door

jack forsberg
05-17-2014, 8:58 AM
for those that were following my energy saving type door build here is an up date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_MfFwFsNq0&list=UUI6jpIs2zjN9DmVvK2ZAWXA

John McClanahan
05-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

John

Mike Delyster
05-17-2014, 10:44 AM
That door turned out great Jack, the oak burl panels look fantastic. Thanks for posting the video explaining how it all works.

Loren Woirhaye
05-17-2014, 10:55 AM
An effective showpiece for clients I reckon. Very well thought out.

George Bokros
05-17-2014, 11:11 AM
That is a fantastic door. Design and execution is excellent.

George

Phil Thien
05-17-2014, 11:48 AM
An effective showpiece for clients I reckon. Very well thought out.

I agree, that door speaks volumes about attention to detail. Just wonderful work.

Mel Fulks
05-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Well planned, well done ,and well explained. I can see you are a PROFESSIONAL who won't do a bad client designed
project without a fight to improve it. And remember I'M the one who said you would not be able to avoid stave core stiles!!!

jack forsberg
05-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Well planned, well done ,and well explained. I can see you are a PROFESSIONAL who won't do a bad client designed
project without a fight to improve it. And remember I'M the one who said you would not be able to avoid stave core stiles!!!

I remember that Mel.LOL stave core is costly and should only be done when necessary. I do believe it has it own problems too. where in this door the stiles are 8" wide and the outer and inner lower panels are of a different configuration and color matched from the same log stave was the only way to go.

Tom M King
05-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Looks and works great! Do you buy your weather-stripping parts from Resource Conservation Technologies? That's the only place I've dealt with for as long as I remember, and I haven't really bothered to look for another place. I was just wondering if you have another source.

jack forsberg
05-17-2014, 1:03 PM
i have sense gotten off the historical bronzes weather striping though we do use it for some thing. I gets some of my product from my local door window suppler. I use Tago for some stuff too

i use these guys to for kerf seals
http://www.weatherstripping.ca/products/weatherstripping-sets/

Looks and works great! Do you buy your weather-stripping parts from Resource Conservation Technologies? That's the only place I've dealt with for as long as I remember, and I haven't really bothered to look for another place. I was just wondering if you have another source.

Scott T Smith
05-17-2014, 2:11 PM
Fascinating video Jack! Thanks for sharing that very innovative door. I like the architecture on the building too.

Tom M King
05-17-2014, 2:57 PM
Thanks. I'll check that out. Here's the place I've used forever. http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_weatherseals.html

Larry Edgerton
05-17-2014, 5:07 PM
I use Conservation Tech seals as well. I do a double tube seal and when having a house tested for heat loss they do better than most factory doors.

Jack, very nice work. What I am most envious about is your work with metal, would like to add that to my toolbox.

Thank You, Larry

Steve Rozmiarek
05-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Jack, I enjoy your videos and learn something every time you post. Thanks!

Gus Dundon
05-19-2014, 10:40 AM
That's genius, unique and creative! Awesome job. Thanks for sharing.

paul cottingham
05-19-2014, 2:37 PM
Seriously inspirational. Makes me want to build a door for my house. You have any video of building the actual door?
Thanks for posting that.

jack forsberg
05-19-2014, 7:28 PM
Seriously inspirational. Makes me want to build a door for my house. You have any video of building the actual door?
Thanks for posting that.

Paul there are a number on my Chanel(jack English machines) here is one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr07kHaobMI

Jim Matthews
05-19-2014, 7:56 PM
The appealing aesthetic concern for proportions and advanced weather proofing features aside;
this door must weigh what? More than 250 pounds?

No squeaks? Ninjas could sneak through and snatch your tsotchkes and you would sleep through the heist.

I've got "silent" PCs that make more noise.

Kudos

paul cottingham
05-20-2014, 1:07 AM
Thanks, Jack! I'm a dummy, I already subscribe to your youtube channel, and it never occurred to me to check.