PDA

View Full Version : Vista Search Function - doesn't find anything? Isn't that the purpose of Search?

Jim Underwood
05-17-2014, 8:42 AM
Anyone know why, when I search a specific document folder in Vista, for specific words, that titles of documents and files containing those specific words, DO NOT SHOW UP in the search results?!!

It is SO ridiculous. I'm looking for something specific like "CAT" and it seems Vista thinks I'm looking for "DOG" and returns NOTHING. A subsequent visual perusal of the folder shows up two documents containing the word "CAT" in the title.

I'm flummoxed. I'm looking at the MS website for troubleshooting hints and it tells me stupid things like:

The most likely reason is that you are searching a limited set of locations.

No kidding. I'm searching a specific folder.... It shouldn't be that hard.

Bill Huber
05-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Anyone know why, when I search a specific document folder in Vista, for specific words, that titles of documents and files containing those specific words, DO NOT SHOW UP in the search results?!!

It is SO ridiculous. I'm looking for something specific like "CAT" and it seems Vista thinks I'm looking for "DOG" and returns NOTHING. A subsequent visual perusal of the folder shows up two documents containing the word "CAT" in the title.

I'm flummoxed. I'm looking at the MS website for troubleshooting hints and it tells me stupid things like:

No kidding. I'm searching a specific folder.... It shouldn't be that hard.

Is your indexing set up the way you want?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69564-index-enable-disable.html