PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird help...

Chuck Wintle
05-16-2014, 4:07 PM
I use thunderbird email client and need help. I am trying to understand how to work the settings for controlling spam email. For the life of me it deos not seem to work as I thing it should. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance. :(:D

Kent A Bathurst
05-16-2014, 4:17 PM
Oh........Wrong thread.

I was going to suggest Mad Dog 20/20 as an alternative.

My mistake.

Myk Rian
05-16-2014, 4:21 PM
Been hittin' the MD20/20 a bit? :D

I filter the e-mail through the provider. (Comcast). Haven't found much in the way of TB settings myself.

Chuck Wintle
05-16-2014, 4:23 PM
Oh........Wrong thread.

My mistake.
I like your suggestion!

Curt Harms
05-17-2014, 11:25 AM
I use Thunderbird but haven't really needed to do much with junk mail filtering. Have you looked at Tools -> Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder? The other thought would be add-ons. The Thunderbird add-on ecosystem is not nearly as diverse as the Firefox add-ons but there are a few.

Kent A Bathurst
05-17-2014, 6:05 PM
I like your suggestion!

There were days - months, actually - in my college/fraternity years where "what you can afford will have to do" was the rule.

Remember the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers cartoon characters: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."

Larry Frank
05-17-2014, 7:05 PM
I have been using Thunderbird for awhile and use the Junk button for emails that are spam. After awhile, the program learns what you call junk and automatically moves them to the junk folder. I would guess that right now, it is getting at least 90% of the emails that I would call junk.

You might also want to look at Tools-->account settings---junk settings in the program

paul cottingham
05-17-2014, 7:57 PM
If I remember correctly, thunderbird has a button you click to identify spam. It will learn heuristically what you consider spam over time. It works very well, as long as you keep up training it.

Dick Latshaw
05-17-2014, 10:29 PM
I had a '60, a '64 (my wife's favorite), and a '71 (not much of a car). Oh, wait.... Never mind.

Lee Schierer
05-17-2014, 11:16 PM
I just click on the little button under the flame column289601 on any spam messages and I don't see repeat messages.

Curt Harms
05-18-2014, 9:34 AM
If I remember correctly, thunderbird has a button you click to identify spam. It will learn heuristically what you consider spam over time. It works very well, as long as you keep up training it.

And don't switch distros/do a new install every 3 months.:) I guess it'd be possible to copy the Thunderbird profile, I've never tried it.

Myk Rian
05-18-2014, 10:22 AM
And don't switch distros/do a new install every 3 months.:) I guess it'd be possible to copy the Thunderbird profile, I've never tried it.
I use Mozbackup to back up Tbird and Ffox.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985211

Phil Thien
05-18-2014, 3:09 PM

Exactly, love Mozbackup.

Big fan of T-Bird and Lightning (calendar for T-Bird), too. I use Lightning w/ a Google calendar and so my PC and my phones are all synced.

Curt Harms
05-19-2014, 7:34 AM

This program is freeware (even for commercial use) and works on Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7.

For me, the ease of backing up Thunderbird does not outweigh the pain of using Windows. It should be pretty easy to just move the .thunderbird folder from one installation to another, rename and change a line in the .ini file. I've never tried it though. There is an add-on to export and import address books and I leave email on the server until I delete it so no hassles.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-20-2014, 3:28 PM
I use thunderbird email client and need help. I am trying to understand how to work the settings for controlling spam email. For the life of me it deos not seem to work as I thing it should. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance. :(:D

Does this help:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1944065

Dan Hintz
05-20-2014, 8:46 PM

That said, it's a relatively simple algorithm. If you flag spam from a particular IP, it will tag a lot more of the spam coming from the same IP. If you tag a message with a specific image, it will tag all messages with that same image.

But, throw a bunch of random IPs into the mix, change the picture by a single pixel, etc. and it considers it a new, valid message to place in your Inbox. The only real solution is to block each IP as it sends you spam. I dropped mine from 100/day down to about 20/day by blocking most foreign countries. It's back up to about 100/day, most of which are coming from US servers. This means I now need to start cherry picking and block specific IPs (or more likely small ranges).