PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraveable Coffee Mugs?

Chris Sattes
05-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if you can engrave a coffee mug? I am looking to engrave some with my 40w. Also if you know if it is possible... any suppliers?

Here is an example:

Thanks for your time!
Chris

greg lindsey
05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
JDS has line of them. BTW, welcome to the creek ! try putting you're equipment in you're signature line so in the future when you have questions we know what your working with.

greg lindsey
05-16-2014, 11:06 AM
jdsindustries.com

Bill Stearns
05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Chris -
Yes. JDS is a good start. But, personally, I'd stay 'way from the "square shaped" coffee cups they offer - they engrave nicely, but don't seem to sell well ' cause of the shape. ('least, in my experience.)

Bill

greg lindsey
05-16-2014, 11:44 AM
I 'm not sure how well those square cups sell, I personally haven't done any. But they're worth a try.

Mark Sipes
05-16-2014, 11:56 AM
So Chris, use the round mugs from JDS LMG21-LMG32

Dan Hintz
05-16-2014, 1:41 PM
The JDS mugs are your best bet, as mentioned previously. You can try off-the-shelf stuff, but the colorant layer is usually much thicker (harder to engrave) and variable in thickness, so YMMV from lot to lot.

Sotos Patistas
05-16-2014, 2:03 PM
I've used the JDS mugs before, both round and square. They laser rather easily, however the color layer does chip easily as well (not from the engraving, just in general). Also, it seems to dissolve somewhat if cleaned with denatured alcohol, my go to solvent. In addition, the square ones are easy to engrave if you don't have a rotary attachment. They are square on the outside, round on the inside, with a void between the two layers.

HTH

Chris Sattes
05-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Wow guys, thanks so much for the response! I started a little Etsy shop, and was slammed with orders. Forgot that I posted here. I have been a lurker for some time... best group of like minded people I have seen!

Chris