PDA

View Full Version : How do you dispose old planer blades

lowell holmes
05-16-2014, 9:25 AM
I have several sets of old lunchbox planer blades to discard.

I don't want to send them to the landfill with the garbage. Someone could be injured.

Any suggestions?

Phil Thien
05-16-2014, 9:32 AM
If you're concerned you could always just run the edge of the blades along some concrete outside (maybe the edge of a step? -- and wear gloves) and they should get pretty dull pretty fast.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-16-2014, 9:35 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123367-Uses-for-old-planer-jointer-knives

I vaguely remember seeing posts about creating things such as marking knives (and other types of knives) from the blades. If you have no use for them, offer them for the cost of shipping, I know that in the link above, at least one person said that they would love to have them.

Jamie Buxton
05-16-2014, 9:39 AM
Landfill. Wrap them with duct tape and/or cardboard to reduce hazards.

Phil Thien
05-16-2014, 9:41 AM
Oh I should also add that scrap businesses like tool steels like HSS and carbide. They fetch top dollar. They aren't going to pay you anything for just a few knives, but they will know what to do with them.

Mel Fulks
05-16-2014, 9:47 AM
Enlarge the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet .

Dennis Nagle
05-16-2014, 10:41 AM
I have a corner of the shop where I put old metals. Once a year I take it to the local scrap yard. It gets recycled and I get some whiskey☺☺☺

John Conklin
05-16-2014, 10:42 AM
I think that I would post them in the classified section for free. I'm sure someone would pay the postage to get some useable steel.

Barry Richardson
05-16-2014, 11:08 AM
I think the lunch box planer blades have a bunch of holes in them, so they might not work, but when I upgraded my 8" jointer with a spiral head, I was left with a bunch of jointer blades, made a couple into parting tools for turning, and they work and stay sharp better than any I have ever used...

Tom Walz
05-16-2014, 12:43 PM
We buy small to tiny quantities of carbide. A USPS flat rate box makes it pretty cheap to ship. We are a "consolidator" buy it buy the pound and sell it buy the ton. it is kind of a hassle but we sell new carbide so it is a service for our customers more than anything else.

A couple knives still probably isn't worth shipping. Try Craig's list. Somebody will be tickled pink to get them.

Jack Terpack
05-16-2014, 2:09 PM
My son uses them to make to make various cutting tools. He is a blacksmith. I would gladly pay shipping to take them off your hands.

Jack

Tai Fu
05-16-2014, 3:03 PM
Put a handle on it and turn it into a samurai sword...

Randy Bonella
05-16-2014, 3:56 PM
Tape the edge and toss in the recycling bin.

Jerome Stanek
05-16-2014, 3:57 PM
I use them as scraper tools great for scraping the edges of plexi before you heat polish it

Andrew Pitonyak
05-16-2014, 4:56 PM
My son uses them to make to make various cutting tools. He is a blacksmith. I would gladly pay shipping to take them off your hands.

Roughly speaking, where do you live Jack?

Mort Stevens
05-16-2014, 5:10 PM
Someone could be injured.

Planer blades are probably the least of the hazards the garbage truck guys come in contact with, given the amount of broken glass and light bulbs that get tossed, and all the other sharp metal edge stuff like from constructions sites, I never gave a second thought about putting planer blades in the garage bag.... wrapping them in newspaper will keep them from tearing through the bag. I usually put a couple pieces of newspaper in the bottom of the bag anyway to keep nails/screws/etc. from poking though.

Jack Terpack
05-16-2014, 6:51 PM
Roughly speaking, where do you live Jack?

I live in Hodges SC, about 45 miles SE of Greenville.

Tony Haukap
05-16-2014, 8:50 PM
I usually put a couple pieces of newspaper in the bottom of the bag anyway to keep nails/screws/etc. from poking though.LOL! Here, I thought I was the only one who did that! :) I also do it to the kitchen bags to soak up anything in case a glass jar breaks or if I want to get rid of grease I can just pour it into the bag without hunting around for a container or tin can to throw away.

ray hampton
05-17-2014, 1:00 PM
give them to your sharping service to be return to the factory that made them in the beginning

Ray Newman
05-17-2014, 5:44 PM
Enlarge the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet .

Now that was funny!

Justin Ludwig
05-17-2014, 6:38 PM
If a person gets cut from planer blades in a landfill, it's well deserved IMO. How to dispose of them would never cross my mind. I must be a hateful person. ;)

ray hampton
05-17-2014, 7:20 PM
If a person gets cut from planer blades in a landfill, it's well deserved IMO. How to dispose of them would never cross my mind. I must be a hateful person. ;)

I doubt that you are a hateful person IF NOTHING CROSS YOUR MIND

Albert Lee
05-17-2014, 7:24 PM
Scrap metal guys would take it?