PDA

View Full Version : Weird Car Air Conditioner Behavior

Jim Koepke
05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
We do not drive our car all that much and recently we noticed the air conditioner took a long time to produce cold air.

Of course the wife says it has to warm up. That's just one reason she isn't the mechanic in the family.

Anyway today I noticed it seemed to work fine after a hard acceleration to pass or get on the interstate. If we stopped and parked the car, the AC wouldn't get cold again until a "stomp the pedal to the metal" acceleration.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Oops, forgot to mention it is a 2001 Chevy Tahoe V8.

jtk

Chuck Wintle
05-16-2014, 6:23 AM
We do not drive our car all that much and recently we noticed the air conditioner took a long time to produce cold air.

Of course the wife says it has to warm up. That's just one reason she isn't the mechanic in the family.

Anyway today I noticed it seemed to work fine after a hard acceleration to pass or get on the interstate. If we stopped and parked the car, the AC wouldn't get cold again until a "stomp the pedal to the metal" acceleration.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Oops, forgot to mention it is a 2001 Chevy Tahoe V8.

jtk

i think the system needs to be recharged with freon.

James Conrad
05-16-2014, 6:34 AM
A/C systems will gradually lose their charge over the years, something like 10-20% every 5 years. Possible leak, bad compressor, intermitent electectical issue... If you don't want to bring it in for service just yet, try a product called A/C Pro to recharge the system, most auto parts stores have it or something similar. It's basically a can of 134a with a gauge and hose attached, simple to use, 20-30 mins. They have R12 conversion kits too.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-16-2014, 9:27 AM
I wonder if the compressor is engaged all the time? Thats a pretty sure sign that it needs recharged.

Karl Andersson
05-16-2014, 9:34 AM
Jim,
look under the hood with the engine running and see if the AC compressor is actually engaging (spinning) while at idle. If not, see if it engages when your wife gives it some gas (stand to the side of the car, just in case she's fed up with rusty tools). If it isn't engaging or seems to be randomly engaging and disengaging, it could just be the clutch is worn - some have a magnetic/ electronic clutch assembly that's like a big spring washer with a fiber clutch disk over it. I had an old Ford truck that the AC only worked when i wasn't looking or on cool days - I took off the clutch disk and shimmed it with a thin washer and it worked great after that; it had just worn down enough to miss engaging by a hair when heat expanded it. AC mechanic had told me I needed a whole new system to upgrade to the new coolant for $3000, then offered to buy my truck for $1500. The washer was $.24 (and the truck forum archive that suggested the fix was basically free). Might be worth a look at least
Good Luck,
Karl