PDA

View Full Version : Vini Vidi Vendi Ferrugo

Jim Koepke
05-16-2014, 12:11 AM
I went, I saw, I bought some rust?

We ventured out today and stopped at a couple antique shops.

Nothing real special:

Not sure about what that brace is called. It is marked with what looks like John Fray

The ruler was about half of what my new one cost so I thought, "why not double down." Besides this one reads right to left and the new one is left to right.

Candy uses the nails for doing stained glass. Surely a few of them might find their way into some wood when she isn't looking. I had to explain what the scorp is used for to the woman at the antique mall. She said she enjoys old tools and people like me who know about them and help her to learn about them.

jtk

Bill Houghton
05-16-2014, 3:37 AM
Whimble brace. There was a previous thread on these, but not much information out there: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?185996-Whimble-braces-anyone-use-these

You'll like the little Stanley 51 spokeshave. I prefer these over the fancier 151 - more like driving a sports car compared to a sedan.

And horse nails - funny, I always thought horses were glued together.

Good scores.

Adam Cruea
05-16-2014, 7:11 AM
Scorp's for shaving the horse's foot bed to put the shoe on, yes?

I assume Candy is your wife. . .does she melt the nails down or something? I only ask as last time I remember watching something about shod horses, the horse nails were lead.

Jim Matthews
05-16-2014, 7:33 AM
Vini, vidi, vendi aerugo.

"Ferrugo" is an Italian car maker known for it's speed of decomposition.
The 2007 Ferrugo Secretum

Warren Mickley
05-16-2014, 8:05 AM
How about Veni, vidi, emi, ferrugo.

Vini is wine, vendidi is I sold.

Dimitrije Stamenkovic
05-16-2014, 9:16 AM
It should be veni, vidi, emi aeruginem. From "venio, venis", whose perfect is "veni": I came; "video, vides", perf. "vidi": I saw; "emo, emis", perf. "emi": I bought; "aerugo, aerugis", accusative "aeruginem": rust. With the object you need to use the accusative "aeruginem". Latin is not like English, you have to use cases, for example aerugo is nominative and means "rust", aeruginis is genitive "of the rust", aerugini is dative "to the rust" etc very similar to Russian.
Vine is "vinum, vini, vino, vinum, vino", "vendo, vendis, vendidi" means I sell, you sell, I sold. "Ferrugo, ferruginis" also means rust, it's actually okay but you should have used "ferruginem".

Nice tools, I wish I could find them that easily here in Italy.

Jim Matthews
05-16-2014, 9:29 AM
It should be veni, vidi, emi aeruginem. From "venio, venis", whose perfect is "veni": I came; "video, vides", perf. "vidi": I saw; "emo, emis", perf. "emi": I bought; "aerugo, aerugis", accusative "aeruginem": rust. With the object you need to use the accusative "aeruginem". Latin is not like English, you have to use cases, for example aerugo is nominative and means "rust", aeruginis is genitive "of the rust", aerugini is dative "to the rust" etc very similar to Russian.
Vine is "vinum, vini, vino, vinum, vino", "vendo, vendis, vendidi" means I sell, you sell, I sold. "Ferrugo, ferruginis" also means rust, it's actually okay but you should have used "ferruginem".

Nice tools, I wish I could find them that easily here in Italy.

Quod, the Hell? (Not appropriate for children or work - part of why it's so funny.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07ybDec1Gk

Jim Koepke
05-16-2014, 12:13 PM
"Ferrugo, ferruginis" also means rust, it's actually okay but you should have used "ferruginem".

At first it was Ferruginem. Then I edited it because the page where I looked it up convinced me Ferrugo was better.

I never took Latin in school.

Saw it on a pack of smokes and saw it as someone's tag line, "vini vidi vendi venti," I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee.

jtk

Moses Yoder
05-16-2014, 2:44 PM
This is exactly what I am talking about when I ask how to preserve threads. Priceless.

Jim Matthews
05-16-2014, 2:56 PM
I blame Jim.

He started it.

Winton Applegate
05-16-2014, 11:59 PM
And I like the oil can !

I gave up looking and bought a stupid plastic bottle with a very fine metal tube on top (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6UBXR6/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1).
All I wanted was a tiny old style oil can for some very light instrument oil.

The modern plastic bottle was tiny, that was good, but the metal tube is too fine and it takes for ever for a drop of oil to come out and with all the squeeze pressure to make that happen the lid leaks and gets all oily and to top that off, so to speak, the plastic bottle is too tall and too skinny so it is top heavy. I will have to put a donut like thing on the bottom of it to keep it upright.

Winton Applegate
05-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Ferrugo, ferruginis

I thought you were talking about the Ferengi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferengi).
Rules of acquisition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition) etc.
I don't recall ever seeing one of them smoking though I am sure they are not above running huge shipments of black market cigarettes. That would be a natural for a Ferengi.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2014, 1:56 AM
You'll like the little Stanley 51 spokeshave.

This will be my second #51, just couldn't leave it behind. It looked lonely.

I assume Candy is your wife. . .does she melt the nails down or something? I only ask as last time I remember watching something about shod horses, the horse nails were lead.

Yes, Candy is my wife. As far as I know the nails are steel or iron. Candy uses them for holding glass in place while she solders the edges together.

And I like the oil can !

I like small oil cans. Especially when it was only $3. This is a bit of an upgrade from my other small oil can that is used at the drill press.

I have some plastic oilers that have long spouts with a twist valve at the top. They have various light weight oils in them from a fine silicone oil up to about a W-10. The are kept in a small can that may have been from diced green peppers.

jtk