PDA

View Full Version : Getty Bowl

John Beaver
05-15-2014, 7:18 PM
I live close to the Getty Center in Los Angeles, and I made this bowl to reflect the marble used on the exterior of the buildings.

I've always been fascinated by seeing the rough face of the marble and the smooth sides where it was cut.

The faces of the segments were cut with a rough bandsaw blade and stippled before assembling the rings

6 x 11 Whitewashed Poplar

The second shot is the Getty Center

C&C's please

Paul Williams
05-15-2014, 8:19 PM
John, I see what you were going for and you did a good job of picking up the look of the building. I don't like the look of the exposed edges of the segments, but that is a personal taste thing, and you wouldn't be doing justice to the building without it.

Michelle Rich
05-16-2014, 7:22 AM
I like your bowl, very much. I also adore the look on the getty center. You did a great job transferring the stone to your bowl. Keep the outside the bowl concepts coming, I luv new concepts and the thinking behind them.

Bob Rotche
05-16-2014, 9:27 AM
Very cool idea! I think you really captured the look you were going for. I love seeing where people get their inspirations from. There's so much around us if we only open our eyes.

Gus Dundon
05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
This is beautiful craftsmanship !Hopefully someday I can replicate your work. Wonderful!

Grant Wilkinson
05-16-2014, 12:38 PM
It's an intriguing concept, Don, and you pulled it off very well.

Jim Hipp
05-16-2014, 3:42 PM
I like the bowl very much. Never seen anything quite like it.

What kind of glue did you use?

Brian Kent
05-16-2014, 6:45 PM
Very good on the originality

Fred Belknap
05-16-2014, 9:33 PM
John I admire your work, very original. I'm no art critic but I think the bowl would look better if you had left the top ring off. Maybe it is the photo that makes it look that way.

John Beaver
05-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Fred, thanks for the comment, my wife said the same thing about the photo. It's just an illusion of the photo. I think the bowl looks right in person.