PDA

View Full Version : Preserving threads here

Moses Yoder
05-15-2014, 6:25 PM
If I bookmark a thread, will the link be good in a year or ten? What is the best way to make sure the info doesn't get lost?

Ryan Mooney
05-15-2014, 7:02 PM
What is the best way to make sure the info doesn't get lost?

Paste it into a document. Print that document out. Make a couple of photocopies of that document. Store them in redundant locations periodically updating the offside backups.

Source: I work in computers and my primary day-to-day gig is figuring out everything that can go wrong.

David Weaver
05-15-2014, 7:14 PM
Threads here are indefinite as far as I can tell other than some of the off topic forums and sale forums, etc. You'll notice every once in a while someone will resurrect a thread here from 2003 or something.

Andrew Bell
05-15-2014, 8:01 PM
You can also use the tag cloud at the bottom of each post, that way you can search and find it later if the hyperlink does break (most posts are untagged, I've taged quite a few but now only rarely)

Adam Cruea
05-15-2014, 8:02 PM
Paste it into a document. Print that document out. Make a couple of photocopies of that document. Store them in redundant locations periodically updating the offside backups.

Source: I work in computers and my primary day-to-day gig is figuring out everything that can go wrong.

Before I even read the "source" I knew. . .textbook IT answer.

You realize, though, that due to budgetary constraints, a 2 hour rated fireproof safe has been purchased in lieu of the offsite location. Management has accepted what they believe to be the risk. :p

Brett Luna
05-15-2014, 8:20 PM
If I bookmark a thread, will the link be good in a year or ten? What is the best way to make sure the info doesn't get lost?

While the thread may remain here for many years to come...speaking with a moderator's experience on another vBulletin-powered forum...your bookmark very well may be rendered obsolete by the next major upgrade to the forum software.

Ryan Mooney
05-15-2014, 10:22 PM
You realize, though, that due to budgetary constraints, a 2 hour rated fireproof safe has been purchased in lieu of the offsite location. Management has accepted what they believe to be the risk. :p

Which will be fine right up until they're out of business from a 3 hour fire... of course all of the other business continuity planning wasn't done either because "what are the odds" (clearly not worth the cost) so the backups wouldn't have been worth anything anyway.

:D I also forgot that you should use low acid archival paper :p

Moses did ask "to make sure"...

Maybe should engrave the data on ceramic disks in SIRF format (http://www.ilm20.org/publications/association-publications/sirfspecificationrequirementsdoc).

A friend of mine years ago had a good quote in this regard "its not how hard it is to get your data into a system that you need to think about, its how hard its going to be to get it out once that system is obsolete".

I certainly appreciate the conversations here and also the ability to search back into the past conversations (because what I'm interested in tomorrow was often already covered 6 years ago.. and that's sure convenient to be able to lookup) please take my comments here as a general statement and certainly no reflection on SMC in particular, really I would say that generally the admins do a bang up job running this site. I have a knee jerk negative reaction to relying on any data storage I don't control (and most I do control) for something that is something I actually care about long term. This goes doubly for a free (or community supported) service like SMC (or any of the free online doc things or ..) because there are just so many ways that things can go wrong (even past the technical issues) that can make continuity of the data difficult to assure (and that's certainly not to say that paid services can't go under taking all your data with them either).

I'd add that the CD's that Keith sells containing the archives would be a smart move if you're really serious about retaining access in the 10-20 year range but you should be aware that CD's also have a somewhat limited lifespan (http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4.html or worse http://www.nature.com/news/2001/010627/full/news010628-11.html) so you should plan on a way to refresh the data and maintain redundant copies. Personally I've seen home written disks go bad in storage in as little as 3-4 years and some that were still good over 10 years later (the bad ones were a particularly bad batch - but how to know ahead of time?).

David Martino
05-16-2014, 12:58 AM
These gold DVD-Rs were supposed to be the best option for optical storage, at least a few years ago:

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_6/section6_12.htm

Under appropriate storage conditions etc... used by archivists in redundant copies for long term storage (100-200 years? maybe?)... although it seems there is still no such thing as permanent digital storage. Or permanent anything else... even the solar system has a sell-by date according to the astrophysicists. :)

Winton Applegate
05-16-2014, 1:08 AM
Moses,

What does it mean:
"No martinis 'til you salt the mouse"

It must be kind of like Winnie The Pooh's "Crustimoney proseedcake".
http://www.acc.umu.se/~coppelia/pooh/stories/ch4.html

Ryan Mooney
05-16-2014, 1:34 AM
Moses,

What does it mean:

quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur!

Or more likely in my specific case; corripe cervisiam probably followed by Re vera, potas bene - but perhaps therein like the problem, beware lest you also be lead unto irresponsible posting. You have been duly forewarned.

Winton Applegate
05-16-2014, 1:42 AM
irresponsible posting

It’s all I know.

quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur!

You probably shouldn’t talk dirty here. They’l toss you out.

Sides . . . what does tipping cheep, Brtitish, lap dancers have to do with woodworking ?

Ryan Mooney
05-16-2014, 2:05 AM
It’s all I know.

Its really all you need to know when you get right down to it. But here I am ignoring my own advice :D

Personally I prefer your interpretations, they have better color.

For those who are perennially curious and yet wholefully unmotivated a simple and quick solution is provided:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nos+morituri+te+salutamus
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quidquid+latine+dictum+sit+altum+videtur
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Re+vera%2C+potas+bene

I'll show myself out...

Moses Yoder
05-16-2014, 4:43 AM
Moses,

What does it mean:

That means absolutely nothing to me. I have never drank a martini in my life. I drink straight Southern Comfort right out of the bottle without bothering to chase mice beforehand. When I was a little boy my mom told me that if I could put some salt on a bird's tail I could catch it. I asked for a salt shaker and went out to try, unsuccessfully. It was several days before it dawned on me. I have come to accept the fact that I am not the sharpest chisel in the set but I do have some redeeming qualities. I am faithful, steady, consider other people's opinions and allow them to influence me, punctual, slightly crazy, and I don't mind sticking up for what I believe even if everyone else doesn't.

What does this mean to you; "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" Just wondering.

John Keeton
05-16-2014, 5:46 AM
Lets not stray off topic folks.

Matt Meiser
05-16-2014, 6:18 AM
It was off topic from the first post. ;)

Adam Cruea
05-16-2014, 7:08 AM
What is this "topic" thing of which has been spoken?

The meandering Neanders. That's what we are. :D

Paul Saffold
05-16-2014, 9:43 AM
I have searched for info and found old threads that have had their photos removed. Also a few here don't post pictures but have a link to off-site photos and those are not always a long term thing. So, like Ryan says copy and paste it and save it somehow either in print or on your favorite latest and greatest storage medium.

Winton Applegate
05-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Moses,

What does it mean No martinis 'til you salt the mouse.
That means absolutely nothing to me
It’s just that if I say . . . and not knowing what it means . . .Nos morituri te slutamus and say it really fast . . .
to me any way . . .
it sounds like No martinis 'til you salt the mouse.

It must be an only child thing.
When one is an only child they (we) (that is to say . . .I) tend to develop an over developed, and under censored, self entertainment gland.

Once upon a time I considered having it reduced.
That was soon after I had read all the books by Douglas Adams.
The doctors said the fibers of the said over developed self entertainment gland had spread through out my body, apparently accelerated dramatically by the reading of those books (I believe they used the term metastasized) and there for they could do nothing for me short of killing me (which it seemed more than one person on the staff was cheerfully willing to do ((too cheerfully in my opinion )) . . .
and would I please, be good enough to go away and stop bothering them this way .

So there you have it.

don't mind sticking up for what I believe even if everyone else doesn't.

I hate when I do that.

You mean like when some one starts poisoning the whole neighbor hood by firing up a barbecue grill and the smoke and poisonous gasses are taking over and children and old folks are beginning to topple over and I go and put a bucket of water on it.
Like that ?

Or when the local oil burning V8 belch mobile parks for a minute to dump their ash tray in the street and I go take the keys and toss them in the creek so there is cleaner air for all to breath.
Like that ?

Just kidding. But I have thought about it. I bet you would do it though. Wouldn’t you. If you BELIEVED it was right.

What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul?

It means he must have one whopper of a logistics night mare keeping such a large cleaning and maintenance staff organized and on track . Beings the majority of the population of the world is dirt poor it also means there is probably very little potential for profit, . . . actual profit, . . . as such.

Sounds like quite a bad time in fact. Thank Bob I’m not that man.

I hope he finds his shoe.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Moses,

If you bookmark a thread here, you will be able to get to that thread. I have threads I use for reference that I bookmarked when I first joined.

If the link is still good, you should be able to use it.

The reason we suggest that people upload their photographs here is because once up loaded they remain available. If the photos are stored offsite and somebody decides to delete them, then they will disappear from the thread here at SMC.

paul cottingham
05-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Before I even read the "source" I knew. . .textbook IT answer.

Yeah, but the fact is, management will still blame you if the data gets lost. :-(

Moses Yoder
05-17-2014, 6:52 AM
Moses,

It’s just that if I say . . . and not knowing what it means . . .Nos morituri te slutamus and say it really fast . . .
to me any way . . .
it sounds like No martinis 'til you salt the mouse.

It must be an only child thing.
When one is an only child they (we) (that is to say . . .I) tend to develop an over developed, and under censored, self entertainment gland.

Once upon a time I considered having it reduced.
That was soon after I had read all the books by Douglas Adams.
The doctors said the fibers of the said over developed self entertainment gland had spread through out my body, apparently accelerated dramatically by the reading of those books (I believe they used the term metastasized) and there for they could do nothing for me short of killing me (which it seemed more than one person on the staff was cheerfully willing to do ((too cheerfully in my opinion )) . . .
and would I please, be good enough to go away and stop bothering them this way .

So there you have it.

I hate when I do that.

You mean like when some one starts poisoning the whole neighbor hood by firing up a barbecue grill and the smoke and poisonous gasses are taking over and children and old folks are beginning to topple over and I go and put a bucket of water on it.
Like that ?

Or when the local oil burning V8 belch mobile parks for a minute to dump their ash tray in the street and I go take the keys and toss them in the creek so there is cleaner air for all to breath.
Like that ?

Just kidding. But I have thought about it. I bet you would do it though. Wouldn’t you. If you BELIEVED it was right.

It means he must have one whopper of a logistics night mare keeping such a large cleaning and maintenance staff organized and on track . Beings the majority of the population of the world is dirt poor it also means there is probably very little potential for profit, . . . actual profit, . . . as such.

Sounds like quite a bad time in fact. Thank Bob I’m not that man.

I hope he finds his shoe.

Well this is off topic but the pirate's code is more like a guideline, not a rule. One of my favorite movies of course ( I am a man) is the movie "Gladiator" with Russell Crowe. It is one of the greatest movies of all time and I doubt will ever be surpassed. Even better than "Matrix". In the movie is the line "We who are about to die salute you". In Latin, the language it was originally spoken in possibly, it is "Nos morituri te salutimus". This is easily copied and pasted into the Google search button where information can be found on the phrase for those that are not familiar with it, thus I chose not to provide a translation. This phrase means a lot to me. I could write a great deal about it but will just say that to me it means it is honorable to face the unknown with courage instead of cowardice. This attitude is very helpful in woodworking.

I Googled the name "Winton Applegate" and came up with all sorts of sites willing to sell me your information; you might want to look into that. I also looked into the Ferengi "Rules of Acquisition" this morning and have asked for the Kindle edition from my siblings, figuring there is no need to spend my own money. (All in fun).

Winton Applegate
05-18-2014, 1:02 AM
it is honorable to face the unknown with courage instead of cowardice. This attitude is very helpful in woodworking.

Being a "metal rat" in Chinese astrology and a "white" metal rat at that. Just kidding but true; I am not so clear on what the white has to do with it but my partner could fill me in if you need to know. Yah probably not on your top ten list I would guess . . .
any way . . .
Being a metal rat I tend to observe from the side lines, from cover if you will, (one gets hit with fewer flying discuses (sp), javelins, flaming catapult amo what have you (though I love that term "catapult" (remind me to revisit that verbose verberostiy of recent past here) . . .

and so
From cover, I tend to observe the ANTICS of the brave and honorable with my slide rule in one hand and a library card in the other and have found those to be far superior to diving head long into unknown booty traps.

In other words there are plenty of explorers that have gone before me (in woodworking anyway) and all I have to do is find and read their plethora of maps of this well documented territory and calmly enjoy the voyage from the deck chair of the good ship Nurd Geek.

Courage and cowardice don't seem to have much to say about it though I hear they have a nightly poker game going some where in the bowels of the ship.

Would you be so kind as to ask the steward to bring me a blanket and some more hot cocoa there is a spell of brisk, damp air rolling in.

(All in fun
Glad you are wiling to kid around with me)

Welcome to the Mill !

Moses Yoder
05-18-2014, 6:45 AM
I don't really put any stock in astrology but was just thinking it is uncanny how accurate it is, the description of the goat. Wondering how your love interest is going. The goat being married to the dog is considered difficult, an accurate depiction of my relationship with my Meg.

Anyway, I picked out my next avatar. This one will be replaced after the auction of dad's stuff.

Even when you are following other people's journeys you still make the discovery yourself. You will have to make the decision which one to follow, as they are all different. At some point you actually have to put a chisel to the wood and you will see for yourself how the wood reacts.You have no idea how many battles you have fought and won.