PDA

View Full Version : A story about wood (related to coffin smoother)

Moses Yoder
05-15-2014, 6:13 PM
The comments on the cost of ebony in the coffin smoother thread brought to mind the acquisition of the wood, I thought I would share the story. Wood Central had a gathering of members about ten years ago just north of Indy IN. It was a 4 hour drive for me if I remember and I took a tent and spent the night camped out. As a woodworker I make a comfortable living, above average for woodworkers, but there is very little extra income and most of that is spent on my wife's hobbies and clothing. My skill with money is such that in order to remain living with my wife I am allowed a small stipend and am forbidden to carry credit cards or any other form of money. My gas money comes out of my stipend, the rest I spend as I wish. So here I am at the WoodCentral gathering, ready for a day of learning from fellow woodworkers, including a planing competition, finding myself really hyped. About 9:30 am Saturday morning I was observing the festivities in my lawn chair when I thought I would wander around and see what was to see. I saw a couple guys gathered around a truck down the lane and went to investigate. Here were two sons who had lost their father a while back and were getting rid of his wood stash. He made blocks, about 1-1/4" square, for kids to play with. They mentioned that they had thought about burning it but then decided they could possibly make some money with it and get it into the hands of people who would use it.

I began looking though and the first thing I noticed was the chunk of ebony. It is 2" thick, 2-3/4" wide and 8-1/2" long. It looked just right for a Krenov plane. In thinking about it I decided that to do the wood justice it would have to be built like a traditional plane but in looking at pics today I realize it is not tall enough for a traditional coffin plane. I think I will build a Krenov plane with it after all, with the pin and such to make it work at 2" thick. I definitely do not want to cut up a beautiful chunk of wood like this into Greene & Greene accents. I can easily buy 4/4 new ebony for that; this chunk is special to me and as such I want to use it to build something for myself that I will appreciate. The price on the ebony was $20, they knew it was valuable.

The next chunk I saw is some type of rosewood, 3" x 3" x 28" for $5. In reading through the thread on coffin smoothers and looking at my wood, I think I will use part of this chunk to make my traditional coffin smoother and the rest to make a razee smoother. All the thoughts on special wood, appreciation, etc. on the ebony fit this wood as well.

The last one I saw I think is Lignum Vitae. It is the most dense wood I have ever picked up. 3" x 3-1/2" x 23-1/2" for $5. I have no idea what I am going to do with this chunk. All the chunks are covered in paraffin I think, some type of wax, and have very little checking or cracking.

Here I was with a stack of wood priced at $30 and worth a thousand dollars to me, and me without a cent in my pocket. I asked if I could mail them a check. They said well that's a lot to ask and I agreed. They asked me if I really had no money on me. I was desperate and pulled out my wallet to make sure and then realized my wife had given me the ATM card to pull my stipend before I left a couple days before and I had never given it back. I went to the nearest bank, pulled out $30, and the wood has been patiently setting in my shop ever since. When my wife saw the wood and my excitement, she forgave me the money spent.

Roger Rettenmeier
05-15-2014, 6:53 PM
Great story. I live in Montana now , and the local wood is pine/ fir. I am from Iowa originally, and think of all the good hardwood that my dad and others burn as firewood. i have a perfectly good bandsaw mill that would like a taste of something other than pine/ douglas fir.
Those chunks of wood need just the right project, which you seem to have decided upon.

David Weaver
05-15-2014, 7:18 PM
Moses, I'd say you did awfully well. The ebony would probably be too small for a coffin smoother unless you went with a very small iron and made a small plane (to deal with the height being low).

However, for what you spent, who cares. You've got two great sticks of stuff. I see wood like that brown wood sold at rockler as "brown ebony", it's dense and non porous if it's the same thing. A nice wood to work with.

george wilson
05-15-2014, 7:29 PM
Several years at a woodworking show,I saw a piece of lignum vitae about a board foot size. It was $125.00.

I have a "log" of Brazilian brown ebony. It is approximately 6"x 7"and about 2 1/2 feet long. These are GUESSES since I haven't looked at it in a good while. I don't know when I'll ever do anything with it.

Kees Heiden
05-16-2014, 3:42 AM
I see you love your wife a lot Moses! Fun story.

Another story. Back when I started to get serious with woodworking I spotted an ad: "for free, hardwood" without any pictures. It wasn't too far away from my home, so I made an appointment and went to look, not expecting too much. It happened to be the workshop from an old guitar maker who quit due to health issues and had to clean out the shop quickly. I had a pretty large car, but I had to rent a trailer and come back a second time. Lots of nice stuff, maple, jatoba, merbau. There was oak, elm and some big chuncks of beech. Lots of wood I still have no clue what it is. Also a large stack of azobe which I gave to a friend who needed to make new fencing in his garden. And all that for free, with no other takers! That sure gave my new hobby a headstart. I also bought some tools and a lot of clamps from him for a song. Sometimes you just have to get lucky.

Steve Voigt
05-16-2014, 8:38 AM
Another story. Back when I started to get serious with woodworking I spotted an ad: "for free, hardwood" without any pictures. It wasn't too far away from my home, so I made an appointment and went to look, not expecting too much. It happened to be the workshop from an old guitar maker who quit due to health issues and had to clean out the shop quickly. I had a pretty large car, but I had to rent a trailer and come back a second time. Lots of nice stuff, maple, jatoba, merbau. There was oak, elm and some big chuncks of beech. Lots of wood I still have no clue what it is. Also a large stack of azobe which I gave to a friend who needed to make new fencing in his garden. And all that for free, with no other takers! That sure gave my new hobby a headstart. I also bought some tools and a lot of clamps from him for a song. Sometimes you just have to get lucky.

My jealousy has rendered me speechless.

Kees Heiden
05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Well, most of it was odd sizes of course, not really enough to build anything big, but there is still plenty for smaller projects. Especially for tools I have used it a lot.
And my kitchen drawers are all made from jatoba, dovetailing in jatoba was a nice way to learn this skill ;)

Pat Barry
05-16-2014, 12:41 PM
My skill with money is such that in order to remain living with my wife I am allowed a small stipend and am forbidden to carry credit cards or any other form of money. My gas money comes out of my stipend, the rest I spend as I wish.
I have typed in three different things as a response that came to mind reading these two sentences but I couldn't get myself to hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. Each time I erased and started over. I guess I'm speechless with the images that come to mind.

By the way, you are a fine storyteller Moses!

Moses Yoder
05-16-2014, 2:33 PM
I have typed in three different things as a response that came to mind reading these two sentences but I couldn't get myself to hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. Each time I erased and started over. I guess I'm speechless with the images that come to mind.

By the way, you are a fine storyteller Moses!

An old Amish tradition is for the children to give all of their income to the parents until they are 21 years old. Even many of the Amish no longer do this; my father left the Amish but he still held to this tradition and I never challenged it. I began dating my wife when I was 19 and asked for money from my mom any time I wanted to take her anywhere. I never formally asked my wife to marry me; we just came to the realization that we agreed on getting married and set a date. I turned 21 in August 18 of 1988 and we married on May 19 of '90. In between that time I paid off a car and saved up money to put a down payment on a house. Basically I never had that time to waste money like most single guys do on nice cars and stereos and whatever; I think it is for this reason that whenever I have money in my pocket I spend it.

steven c newman
05-18-2014, 10:04 AM
"Avete Vos!"

Friends had an old "carriage house" that WAS a garage, until it fell down. Was told to pick out whatever wood from that pile I wanted. Ever see a joist, 2 x10 x 9', made out of Black Cherry? 4" x 6" Sycamore beams? Or, QSWO RAFTERS? Had to remove a few pounds of cut nails, but I think that was worth it...

Matt Lau
05-30-2014, 2:54 AM
I have to say to all "You Suck!"

Seriously good scores.
Especially the lignum vitae--that stuff is super hard to find and pricy!

You'll find that it makes superior mallets and plane soles. I bought a stick 1"x1"x12" for $30 and considered myself lucky!