PDA

View Full Version : PSI's Coffee Scoop Kit

Kurt Aebi
06-27-2005, 9:12 AM
I ordered a couple of Coffee Scoop Kits from Penn State Ind. to try and see if they are anything anyone would have interest in. My wife's first comment when they arrives was "Who's gonna want one of those!". Well, I turned a handle for one out of Ambrosia Maple and when I showed it to her she said "Is that one for me? I really like it, it is a shame there isn't a gourmet coffee shop nearby for you to market these through."

It is an extremely easy kit to do, I just made this handle plain, but can easily see lots of potential for design alterations and fancy beads, etc. to enhance a plain grain wood. Also looks to be a great place to use a large spalted piece or burl that would never make thinning down for a pencil. It uses a standard 7mm Mandrel, but like any other kit, uses a seperate set of bushings.

Let me know whatcha think??

Michael Stafford
06-27-2005, 9:32 AM
Very cute Kurt! I know someone that would rather have one of those than a piece of plastic...PSI you say...Good job!

Jeff Sudmeier
06-27-2005, 10:59 AM
That looks great. I would think those would be very marketable!

John Hart
06-28-2005, 6:48 AM
I think you're on to something Kurt. I immediately wanted one. Course then, I'm a coffee nut....like a gazilion other people. I think it'll be a good one. Nice turning too! :)

Kurt Aebi
06-28-2005, 1:05 PM
Hey John,

Order up a few kits from Ryan @ Woodturningz and have a blast the part is PSCSCOOP. He gives you the quantity price no matter how many you order. You will need the bushings that go with it (of course!).

With some o fthe more interesting woods you have, you can really be creative - maybe even some of that Pear tree would work okay for this!

Charles Hans
06-28-2005, 4:04 PM
Kurt, what is the address for Ryan @ Woodturningz ?

That is a nice scoop

John Miliunas
06-28-2005, 6:31 PM
Hadn't seen one of those yet, Kurt. I like that and I agree that I think those would be decent sellers! Nice job on yours (errrrr, your wife's:D ). Thanks for the lead!:) :cool:

Kurt Aebi
06-29-2005, 8:16 AM
Charles,

You can get that information from their website, just add .com after the woodturningz and it will take you to their site. They only hav a few basic things on the website, but they carry the whole line of Penn State Industries stuff and I think you can get HUT and some other stuff.

Thanks again, guys for the nice comments. I really like the style and will be making more of these in the near future.

John Hart
06-29-2005, 9:59 AM
Wow...great prices too Kurt!

Odd though...I couldn't find the scoop kit....hmmm I must be doing something wrong:confused:

Dawn Sunkle
06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
I have ordered from woodturningz.com too and they are super quick and have great pricing.
If you can't find something either give them a call (888) 736-5487 or send Ryan an email ryan@woodturningz.com (I'd call.. but then I like instant gratification LOL) . I called a few days ago to place an order and got excellent service. The package should be here today. :)
Oh and when talking to Ryan he said that they do indeed offer more than just the PSI catalog.. they have glues and finishes .. and more but I can't remember what else he said.

Hope that info is useful. (I'm just a happy customer, not affiliated w/co.)
Dawn

I just checked out their website.. they are suggesting you call in orders right now. (site specials page explains)

Kurt Aebi
06-29-2005, 1:43 PM
John,

Dawn is right, you really have to call or e-mail them. They carry everything that is in the Penn State catalog, but at better pricing.

Their website is really lacking - they only have a very few items that they carry listed there, so it is much better to call them, that is what I do.