PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my auto focus safely?

Bill Stearns
05-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi All -

'Suppose it's in my operation's manual, someplace - just thought I'd ask you all. What is an efficient, and safe, way to clean the cruddy-looking build-up on my auto-focus device. (the little tube that hangs down and touches the material.) I typically use a Q-tip with alcohol; hasn't seemed to harm it. It works fine; would just like to get it shinier and new-looking than alcohol does. Wondering 'bout trying CLR? Also: for cleaning the clear, thin "data strip" - anything better than my using distilled water? - Have 'great day, everyone!

Bill
Epilog 35W

Rich Harman
05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Krud Kutter works really well, not sure if it is appropriate for your encoder strip.

Chris DeGerolamo
05-15-2014, 1:06 PM
Speaking from experience, breaking the autofocus plunger is not fun. That being said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I use lens cleaner on ours. I just take my time and let the cleaner do its work. Furthermore, I believe cleaning the encoder strip with DW is what Epilog recommends, why would you want to differ? The only thing supplemental to the DW may be some compressed air to blow out any surrounding dirt before you clean the strip.

Mary Geitz
05-15-2014, 3:12 PM
I use Clorox wipes on my side rulers and then give the plunger a swipe with those as well. It works great. You need to just let it sit a bit before wiping again. I will also use them to wipe the bottom (after cutting table is removed) after dusting or vacuuming the debris.

Craig Matheny
05-15-2014, 3:44 PM
Careful with Krude Kutter... I use it on everything it works great had no issues so I took off the rulers on my Epilog to clean them as they where in bad shape left them in the Krud Kutter over night no more finish in them bubbled right off. Next time I will not soak them :) I have also found that simple glass cleaner works wonders.

Dave Sheldrake
05-15-2014, 7:11 PM
Not sure what they call them over there but baby wipes work well.

cheers

Dave

Bill Cunningham
05-15-2014, 8:48 PM
Pull off the autofocus, your betteroff without it..

greg lindsey
05-15-2014, 11:46 PM
I know a little about auto focus plungers. I pull mine off once a week and they soak in DNA overnite, works every time. Encoder strips should only be cleaned with DW and a little Dawn, then re-wiped with DW.