PDA

View Full Version : Tips for engraving on marble

Clark Pace
05-14-2014, 7:28 PM
Hi,

So I have laser engraved on marble using photo grav with great success on my old universal laser(gone now)

I now have Shenhui 350 laser and Redsail X700. both 50 watt.

I have not had as much success with them on marble.

Any tips? A good resolution? And scan gap? I use photo grav 2.11.

Bill Stearns
05-14-2014, 7:51 PM
Buckle Up! Here we go 'gain with the marble/granite engraving topic. I started a thread 'while back called: "Loosing my marbles - marble business". Maybe, you can find it. I received tons of wonderful advice. (first thing I learned was I was saying marble, when I was really engraving on granite; quite 'difference.) Bet anything the fellas 'n gals will be asking you for more details. I'll check back later. Good luck.

Bill

Clark Pace
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
To clarify. I'm using the lasersketch stuff. It seem to etch a little off yellow, but it sure is black. I wonder if it's manufactured marble?

Andrei Georgescu
05-15-2014, 2:10 AM
I did this yesterday and gave it a white fill. Turned surprisingly good, I used the same settings I use on granite: 200 mm/s with 19 power.

Andrei Georgescu
05-15-2014, 3:19 PM
...and tested the lighter stuff today. For the thin lines I increased the power at 25.

Bill Cunningham
05-15-2014, 8:46 PM
To clarify. I'm using the lasersketch stuff. It seem to etch a little off yellow, but it sure is black. I wonder if it's manufactured marble? if lasersketch calls it marble, it's prob. Granite. If it's their headstones it is granite. Flip it over and put a drop of mild acid (or vinegar) on the back, if it fizzes it's marble. Granite won't be affected. Marble engraves high power low speed. Granite is low power high speed.

Clark Pace
05-16-2014, 9:50 PM
Figured it out. I got very good results with 15% power and 400 speed. That with the laser sketch stuff.

Bill Cunningham
05-17-2014, 9:27 PM
If you want to see how real marble looks and etches, pick up some brown from home depot. Real marble is super forgiving, and almost impossible to screw up. You can etch a normal halftone directly, no photogav or anything else isneeded, you can even run it twice to make it whiter/brighter. Marble etches white, granite etches gray.