PDA

View Full Version : Liming Wax

John Shillabeer
05-14-2014, 6:45 PM
Can anyone tell me of a source of liming wax in Canada?
Is there an alternative if none is available? For example, will gesso do the job?

I am looking for something to fill in the little pits created with a texturing tool to bring the result to life.

Richard Madden
05-14-2014, 7:36 PM
Depending on the use, white paste shoe polish can be a substitute.

Tom Sherman
05-14-2014, 8:20 PM
You might check with Lee Valley/Veritas.

James Ley
05-14-2014, 9:12 PM
I got some sent in from these people. http://www.woodessence.com/ Also got some ultra blond shellac flakes. They shipped what I ordered and I got it in a very reasonable time.

James

Jeffrey J Smith
05-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Craft Supplies carries Liberon Liming waxes - I would guess they ship to Canada www.woodturnerscatalog.com (http://www.woodtrurnerscatalog.com)

Bob Bergstrom
05-14-2014, 11:10 PM
I mix everything from line chalk to mica powders to make different colors of wax to fill pores. Pearl Ex comes in 20 plus colors and many are dichromic. Once the wax is dry, I use #0000 steel wool to buff off the surface and the apply spray can wax over that. works well and the lacquer will adhere to the surface.

John Shillabeer
05-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone.

James :I had not come across Wood Essence before and, judging by their website, they carry some interesting lines .

Your approach of making it yourself , Bob, is interesting and I would like to have a try. What have you found is the best wax to start with? I presume you mix your powder into a commonly available wax , make a paste and spread it on. What wax do you use for the mixture? Does it matter?

Regards
John

Bob Bergstrom
05-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone.

James :I had not come across Wood Essence before and, judging by their website, they carry some interesting lines .

Your approach of making it yourself , Bob, is interesting and I would like to have a try. What have you found is the best wax to start with? I presume you mix your powder into a commonly available wax , make a paste and spread it on. What wax do you use for the mixture? Does it matter?

Regards
John

i just use Johnson paste was. It is just a medium to apply the color. Just about any would do. Clear shoe polish would be another. Any one that dries relatively fast.

Fred Belknap
05-16-2014, 7:40 AM
Amazon has several choices, no idea about shipping to Canada.

Mike Peace
05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Try a bit of Titanium Oxide artist pigment available from a craft supply or artist supply mixed in with a paste wax. I have mixed a little in with a paste wax as suggested. I think my paste wax is Minwax. It won't matter.

John Shillabeer
05-16-2014, 1:26 PM
Right: I'm all fired up to give it a try mixing it myself.
Thanks everyone
John

Dave Cullen
05-16-2014, 1:44 PM
Would Rub-N-Buff work for this? You can get it at about any crafts store.

Lloyd Butler
05-18-2014, 8:22 PM
John,

I think is you contact WoodChuckers (http://www.woodchuckers.com/) they can get Liming Wax I believe. They are located in the east end of Toronto. Their web site is getting better, but may not cover all they can get.

Lloyd