PDA

View Full Version : I made some progress on the Gorilla Yesterday

Larry Browning
06-27-2005, 7:31 AM
Well I finally got started on the Gorilla install yesterday. However, when I went looking for the camera to record the saga, I discovered that the LOML had taken it with her out of town. So I only have 1 picture taken this morning that shows the results of yesterdays work. I decided I wanted to have a 55gal dust bin (which I havn't aquired yet) and I wanted the ducting to be as high as possible so that I could keep the duct leading to the gorilla as straight as possible, so I cut a hole in the ceiling, built a box to fill the hole and stuck the motor up inside the hole. I talked to one of the engineers at work about ventilation around the motor and he said as long as I didn't run the motor longer that a couple of hours, I wouldn't have any trouble with heat. Man! that fan housing is one heavy dude, when your trying to push it up over your head. I thought we were going to lose it there once just before we got it on the 1x4 supports. I think that would have been a great picture to show how not to intall a gorilla!

Larry

Bill Lewis
06-27-2005, 8:04 AM
Larry, great job. Those things really are quite heavy.
I wanted to do the same as you did, but it wouldn't work where I mounted mine. I had some ductwork that prevented me from pushing the motor up in to the ceiling. If you still have some access to the motor space, consider stapling or gluing some carpet remnants up in to the cavity, lining all sides as best as possible. That'll really dampen out the motor noise!

Chris Lee
06-27-2005, 8:09 AM
Larry,

Lookin Good!When I installed my gorilla I tried to be macho and throw it up there too. Worked great until I tried to walk up a ladder.I raised mine up as well and will most likely get the larger bin eventually as well. I have a 5 day weekend starting Thursday so I hope to get the ductwork up finally.

Chris

Bill Grumbine
06-27-2005, 8:34 AM
Hi Guys

I am about to go up to the shop to try and finish up my Gorilla today. Larry, that is a nice neat looking installation you have going there. Mine is not nearly as pretty, and is a bit lower due to the slope of the shop roof, although I have some long term plans for moving it outside the shop entirely.

The top is heavy! I took mine up the ladder by myself and got it on okay, but there was one moment when it sort of slipped and I ended up hanging onto it with one hand! :eek: But by far the worst was trying to get the stupid cyclone body onto the motor housing. I had two of my daughters up there helping me out, and it was a real circus. I just hope it never clogs up to where I have to take it apart to clean it out.

But, it is all together now and I am redoing some of the duct work from my old 1 1/2 HP Oneida. Hopefully by the end of the day I will have it all running again.

Good luck with yours.

Bill

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 8:50 AM
Looking good, Larry! I have my motor up between the joists, too, although I don't have the coresponding ceiling. It was the only way I could accomodate the 55 gallon bin...which I was NOT willing to give up!

Larry Browning
06-27-2005, 9:08 AM
Looking good, Larry! I have my motor up between the joists, too, although I don't have the coresponding ceiling. It was the only way I could accomodate the 55 gallon bin...which I was NOT willing to give up!
Hey Jim,
Did you get one of the fiber barrels fro Oneida? Those are pretty pricy compared to the ones I can get around here for 7 bucks. Do you know if the lid of the 35gal barrel will fit on a standard 55gal steel barrel? Otherwise I will have to do sugery on the lid that comes on the barrel.

Also, I have a question for all you DC gurus out there. As I build the ducting system, should I seal all the joints with silicone caulk? If so, do I use the regular door & window stuff from the home center? Or is there something better. I will be running the metal ducting from the DC unit into the shop and then switching to PVC S&D to the individul machines. Do I use the same sealing caulk on the pvc as the metal?
Sorry for the stupid questions, but the DC stuff is really new to me.

Larry

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 9:11 AM
The fiber barrels for both systems I've owned came from Oneida...it was convenient. I might have been able to find something local, but the time to look for them is costly, too. The lid size should be the same as a standard 55 gallon drum. Just remember you need to be able to empty it! A dolly is nearly a non-optional requirement for a metal drum.

Larry Browning
06-27-2005, 9:21 AM
The fiber barrels for both systems I've owned came from Oneida...it was convenient. I might have been able to find something local, but the time to look for them is costly, too. The lid size should be the same as a standard 55 gallon drum. Just remember you need to be able to empty it! A dolly is nearly a non-optional requirement for a metal drum.
Jim,
Out here in rural Arkansas every convience store has a big stack of steel and plastic 55gal barrels in the parking lot, so locating one is about as hard as finding a gallon of milk.

Larry

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 9:30 AM
Out here in rural Arkansas every convience store has a big stack of steel and plastic 55gal barrels in the parking lot, so locating one is about as hard as finding a gallon of milk.

Yes, I'm not surprised, given the huge agricultural focus (especially poultry) in your area. Any of those barrels will do as long as they seal completely.

Bob Dean
08-10-2005, 1:31 PM
Larry, I have also recently purchased the Gorilla (2HP). However, I am getting mixed signals from Oneida on how to hook it up electrically.

Have you any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Dean

Larry Browning
08-10-2005, 2:15 PM
Larry, I have also recently purchased the Gorilla (2HP). However, I am getting mixed signals from Oneida on how to hook it up electrically.

Have you any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Dean
Dean,
Whast Rob said is his post is good advice. He really knows his stuff. I used 12ga wire and a 20amp breaker.

Norman Hitt
08-10-2005, 8:29 PM
Larry, for sealing the joints on the PVC Ducting, just slide them together dry, (no PVC adhesive) and then use the "Tub & Tile" caulk that comes in the little red and white plastic tubes. Either the DAP or the Ace Hardware brand will work great. You can wet your finger and smooth our the caulk as you apply it so it really looks nice and the cleanup is with water. It will adhere well to the PVC, yet remain fairly flexible, kinda like rubber, yet is real easy to cut loose with a razor blade or sharp box cutter should you need to make a change at a later date.

One other thing, if there is any problem with the DC motor heating in the semi enclosure you have it in, you could mount a small fan on the wall and point it up into the enclosure to provide adequate cooling air for the motor. I know that Sam Blasco was having moor heating problems with his DC, (not an Oneida), while he was still living in FLA, and he used a small fan pointed to blow across the motor and that solved the problem.

Your setup is looking Good.