PDA

View Full Version : Base cabinet/countertop advice needed

Dave Parkis
05-14-2014, 3:09 PM
I'm building some cabinets for my shop and I would like to incorporate my SCMS into the countertop. I have a Hitachi 10" slider and it looks like I'll need a top that's 30" deep to allow support for longer boards. Is that the "norm" for this or is there a better way? I don't mind the extra expense for building the 30" deep top, but I also need to be able to get into wall cabinets. Thanks!!

Jim Neeley
05-14-2014, 4:59 PM
I'm building some cabinets for my shop and I would like to incorporate my SCMS into the countertop. I have a Hitachi 10" slider and it looks like I'll need a top that's 30" deep to allow support for longer boards. Is that the "norm" for this or is there a better way? I don't mind the extra expense for building the 30" deep top, but I also need to be able to get into wall cabinets. Thanks!!

Dave,

Sliders are deep. That was the driving force behind the Bosch Glide, an expensive but shallow alternative.

Jim

Paul Incognito
05-14-2014, 5:00 PM
I did something similar with an old 8-1/2" slider. I just made the part of the counter the saw sits on deeper and left the rest 25" deep. That still offered good support for stock about 6" wide.
Make sense? Probably be better if I had a pic, which I don't.
PI

Brian Tymchak
05-15-2014, 8:14 AM
I'm also building a bench for my 10" SCMS. It's only 24" deep (12' long) but needs to sit 7" off the wall to clear the slide and dust collection "container" behind the saw. Wall cabinets up behind that would be a bit of a challenge to get in and out of. But if you store stuff there that is not the "I use this daily" stuff, then sure. I was thinking about some open shelves there myself for longer term storage of things I tend to collect.

Curt Harms
05-15-2014, 8:45 AM

Maybe a different Hitachi slider? I haven't heard anything about them except for reviews on Amazon and the like. Thing is like 64 lbs. so not very portable but it does address the space behind the fence problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zNnkoR54uo

Sam Murdoch
05-15-2014, 10:12 AM
I did something similar with an old 8-1/2" slider. I just made the part of the counter the saw sits on deeper and left the rest 25" deep. That still offered good support for stock about 6" wide.
Make sense? Probably be better if I had a pic, which I don't.
PI

This is my thought too. At 6' and maybe 10' (or some other distance from the blade that works for you) add a 1x riser/outrigger that can support longer stock without filling the entire space with a deep top.

Dave Parkis
05-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Well, this is somewhat embarrassing. :o Its not a Hitachi, its a Makita. I doubt that makes much difference as far as the actual issue is concerned. I won't get rid of the saw because it cuts like a dream and its pretty well dialed in as far as being square, accurate 45's, etc.

Jim Neeley
05-15-2014, 1:30 PM
I've seem some people place it on a counter between studs, remove the front face sheet rock between those studs, and then close in some dust collection. In 2x4 construction it saves about 3" in depth.

Mike Ontko
05-15-2014, 4:52 PM
Something that I've seen posted elsewhere (or it might have been here) that could work, is to include space for a dust collection run at the rear of your base cabinets. This way you can increase the depth of your countertop and possibly the depth of your base cabinets by whatever diameter of duct or hose you're going to use. This also makes it easier to connect a dust collection system to your miter station by providing a connection fitting at the end of your cabinets instead having drops from over or under.