PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rack

Jak Kelly
05-14-2014, 2:53 PM
Was wanting to get out to the shop last night, to do some turning, well 8 o'clock rolled around and I feared that it was better to not start so late. But I did manage to do some clean-up, noticed some scrap MDF laying around and got to thinking; "It would be nice to have most of my tooling located in an easy to reach area, visible, and somewhat organized". As I have to do a lot of leaning over to see the tip of the tool I want, located on a tool box under my bench. So this is what I came up with, nothing extravagant, just straight forward simple. 289370

Just think, it really did not cost me anything to make it either, double bonus!!!!!

Dave Cullen
05-14-2014, 3:40 PM
Yup, I need to do that too. I'm going to make a lazy suzan circular rack some day but first I need a simple shelf thing hanging on the post in front of my lathe for the few "go to" tools that I use regularly.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-14-2014, 5:36 PM
Nice! Definetly a good idea. I need something like that for my "go to" tools. Maybe I should make it lean a bit..... The wheels are turning......

Personally, I keep my tools point down, so when reaching for them, and you brush against the adjacent tool, nothing happens. I write 3/8, 5/8, 1/2 skew, 1 skew, RG etc on the butt. (If they are all the same manufacturer.) Some are obviuos even when they point down. All the Sorbys look the same from that end.

Jak Kelly
05-15-2014, 3:09 PM
Nice! Definetly a good idea. I need something like that for my "go to" tools. Maybe I should make it lean a bit..... The wheels are turning......

Personally, I keep my tools point down, so when reaching for them, and you brush against the adjacent tool, nothing happens. I write 3/8, 5/8, 1/2 skew, 1 skew, RG etc on the butt. (If they are all the same manufacturer.) Some are obviuos even when they point down. All the Sorbys look the same from that end.

Well it appears that I may have inspired a few people!!!!
I was fixing to toss some of those scraps of MDF, but was able to come up with enough pieces for that rack.