PDA

View Full Version : strange USB not connected/Serial Port busy error message on PhCad

Eduardo Maekawa
05-14-2014, 2:29 PM
Since monday, whenever I try to send a file to the machine, it gives usb not connected errors, and serial port busy errors too.
I tried to contact the tech assist guy, and he told me that I need to replace the DSP controller board, that he can sell me one used for US$1100 (and a new one for US$ 2000).
My last atempt was to save the file to a usb stick, and plug it to the usb disk port. The machine can see the file, ask me to copy or delete it, I chose to copy...and nothing.

Is there a way to "format" or reset the dsp controller memory? maybe the machine config file got corrupted.

I don't know how to describe the machine, I think it is a shenhui generic 60w CO2. (TR3050/TR4060)

Eduardo Maekawa
05-15-2014, 9:41 PM
I found that the machine is a Triumph.
I also found the exact controller board selling on ALI Express: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/controlor-system-PH-02-CAD-CORELDRAW-use-in-laser-engraveing-and-cutting-machine/546966533.html but I still think it is a matter of configuration or firmware update.
Tomorrow I'll open the lid that covers the board, to investigate what chipset uses. I searched for solutions to upgrade the firmware of leetro controllers, but I don't know if it is the same equipment.

Robert Walters
05-16-2014, 2:07 AM
I'm taking a shot in the dark here...

Sometimes on cheap USB-to-Serial controllers they have a tendency to switch com ports every time the device is disconnected or powered on. Basically every time they reconnect, they create a new COM port on the computer.

You might see how many com ports your computer see's, and switch to one/all of them and see if the errors go away.

Eduardo Maekawa
05-21-2014, 7:00 PM
The machine seller, came to replace the controller board...well, the new board is perfect untill I finished a test and starting to behave the same way as the old board.
So, I went to the machine's menu, and deleted 2 of the last printed files and voila, back to normal!:D

It is all about the machine memory that could not hold bigger files, once it's starts to became "full" the serial port/usb" errors appears. The fix: erase the bigger files.
Now I need to find out how big is the machine's memory and if I can upgrade that.

Robert Walters
05-21-2014, 7:17 PM
Eduardo,

When you say "delete" jobs, are you deleting them from the laser itself, or from your computer laser queue?

If your controller can cache jobs so you can rerun them without touching the computer, that sounds like a bug in the controller's firmware overwriting something it shouldn't be.

More storage memory might help, but if that bug isn't fixed, might occur again.

Just out of curiosity...
The controller you linked to on Ali, do you have any details about it?
Manual? Software? Print driver? etc

How do you like it (other than this issue)?

Eduardo Maekawa
05-28-2014, 5:41 PM
Robert, I deleted on the laser itself. And if I think the memory starts to behave, there is an option to "format" too, very handy.
But this issue, keeps coming back, I have a theory: maybe the increasing of the file size (as I am working on more detailed images) or the software to create (phcad 4.47 and phcad 7.01 custom version) is outputting a defective/corrupted file. I wish I could have more access to the memory itself, but there is no documentation about the controller.
I don't have any details, except it is the same as I linked, and here it says: laser controller v4.47 (maybe matching with the phcad software).

I really like to work/learn with the machine, I only wish that I could connect this machine to my Mac or I could use another software instead this phcad/corel draw variant.

Robert Walters
05-29-2014, 2:53 PM
I believe this is who makes your controller:
http://szret.en.ec21.com/company_info.jsp

SZRET website looks to have been hijacked and it redirects to google.

It looks like there are three versions of that controller:
Independant
CorelDraw
AutoCad.

If you can find the source for manuals, firmware for your controller, it might help.

Are you saying that you can't/don't use CorelDraw, or that what software (phcad?) you have is a Corel clone (of sorts)?

Do you want to use CorelDraw and are not able to?

Do you have "printer drivers" install on your computer to send jobs to the laser?
If so, do you see anything in it's manual/help files that may help identify the company?

Well, you could use a virtual machine of Windows on your Mac.
I use VirtualBox running XP connected to my laser via a ethernet-to-parallel port adapter.

I LUST everything-over-ethernet =)

You might be able to use a USB-OVER-ETHERNET or USB-OVER-IP adapter so that you don't actually have to connect it your machine. There are probably many types out there, but I've always had the best experiences with Digi brand products:
digi DOT com/products/model?mid=3290

though that one is $300, there are cheaper ones out there.

I would avoid WIFI at all costs, just too much headache and usually will bite you in the ass in the long run.
I know everyone loves wifi, but I can't tell you how many times I've come across people having so many intermittent issues than I resloved with $10 CAT5 cable =)

Eduardo Maekawa
06-02-2014, 9:44 PM
The seller taught me the basics to make the job on coreldraw and then export the job to phcad driver (this phcad is the simplified version of corel AND the driver interface to export the job to the machine through USB cable or flash drive).