PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointer

Sean Powell
05-14-2014, 2:02 PM
I'm looking at getting a grizzly jointer and the that's in my price range our The g0654 and g0452p. Only thing I see that different is the smaller fence and the controlls are up top. Does the fence which is 6in longer make that big of difference.

glenn bradley
05-14-2014, 5:51 PM
Sorry its been so quiet Sean. I was hoping some 6" jointer owners would chime in. I know I find it far from useful when I ask about a $1500 drum sander only to have a lot of responses about $2500 sanders show up. This is what has kept me from responding; I didn't want to be one of "those guys".

I know there are more than a few members here who are perfectly happy with 6" machines and have found no need for larger. I found a 6" machine to be too narrow most of the time and find an 8" jointer to be adequate most of the time . . . for me . . . so my comments on a 6" machine would have to include "get at least an 8" machine". There, now that I've gotten that out of the way . . . :)

A long tall fence was one of the things on my short list when I went shopping for a jointer to replace the 6" machine that I sold a few months after buying it. A long infeed table was also important to me as were parallelogram beds and a spiral head BUT . . . those things were important to me and what I do. You have a much better idea of what is important to you and what you want to do. Since the machines are nearly identical in other respects and since you asked ;) I would opt for a larger/longer fence.

Phil Thien
05-14-2014, 6:15 PM
Nobody has a shorter bed or smaller fence than I (I use a 6" portable jointer). And it works perfectly fine, I routinely flatten and straighten lumber over 48" long. So I'd say the shorter fence would have no real impact on your jointer satisfaction.

Gordon Eyre
05-14-2014, 6:44 PM
I have a GO604ZX and like it a lot. Space is a problem for me and so the 6" jointer was perfect. I like the quietness of the helical head and the nice smooth cut that I get. I have been pleased with the quality of this jointer and do not hesitate to recommend it.

J.R. Rutter
05-14-2014, 7:34 PM
For 90 degree edging, the fence doesn't matter much as long as it is reasonably flat. For doing bevels or rabbets, I would prefer a longer/taller fence.

Myk Rian
05-14-2014, 9:26 PM
I would go with whichever has the longest fence PAST the cutter head.

Jim Finn
05-15-2014, 9:25 AM
I have the 654 and like it. Nice quiet machine.

steven taggart
05-15-2014, 11:45 AM
I have the 654 also. And I really like it. I watched amazon for a while, and saved about $150 when it went on sale. I would recommend lock tite for the fence adjustment. I have found mine will drift off 90 degrees if I dont really lock it down. I never face joint anything, just run the edges. I use reclaimed wood mostly, so let my cheap, easy to change planer blades take the abuse.