PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this sander???

Dennis Nagle
05-13-2014, 10:29 PM
I was cruzing CL today and found a JET JSG-6DC 6-Inch/12-Inch 1-1/2 Horsepower Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander for $100!!!!! I sent an email asap and didn't expect to hear back from the guy assuming that it was sold already. At 5pm, he called and said I was the first to respond to his ad. I drove over and picked it up. It looks brand new but it is green not white so I know it is a number of years old. It came with several belts and disc. Here is a pix of a white one but they look the same other than color.

Anyone know this machine??? Is it any good?

Bruce Volden
05-13-2014, 10:52 PM
I will trade you my Grizzly unit for THAT. I HAS to be better than what I use.

Bruce

Julian Tracy
05-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Excellent sander. I have the white version with the Cabinet stand, but that Blue one is the exact same unit.

Before I owned it, had two Delta's, one of the Delta Rockwells and another of the 90's era Sanding centers.

The Jet is so much better than either of the Delta's in so many ways.

Powerful, easy fast tracking, fast belt changes, integrated single 4" dust port for both stations, heavy duty tables, solid tru 12" disc, etc.

$900-1200 sander for $100 - why is it not in your truck already! I live in the area as well and saw the ad the minute it came up - posted it on the local WW forum this morning, surprised no one called on it earlier.

Don't hesitate.

Julian

Rick Potter
05-14-2014, 2:41 AM
Congrats. That is one of those 'how can I go wrong?' deals.

Come on, we all know this is a stealth gloat.

Let me be the first to say......YOU SUCK.

Rick P

Anthony Diodati
05-14-2014, 3:33 AM
He did buy it.
Why is his posts font so small?

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2014, 8:57 AM
Yep, I drove right over when he called. It is in my van and won't move until I get help from a young buck tonight....that thing weighs over 150lbs!!!

Sam Murdoch
05-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Why is his posts font so small?

Because he copied the name and model info from a web site and just pooped that in to his message. The remaining font followed the copied text- or so I'm guessing :).

Great deal Dennis.

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Yep, that is what I did, but the interesting thing is on my computer the type is huge not small.

Rick Potter
05-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Does this mean you won't be trying that 30" sander?

Rick Potter

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2014, 11:55 AM
No. I still want the 30", I just saw this and for 100 bucks couldn't pass it up.

I ordered the 30.5" x 3/4" disc from the laser cutter. It will be 30.5" as it is considered a rough burnout. I did a drawing yesterday with my machinist, so he is all set, and next to his shop is a blanchard grinder and he is on board. My shaft is 2-7/8" as are the pillow blocks. The shaft will have to be machined to fit the hub as well.

Anthony Diodati
05-14-2014, 1:59 PM
Heck no, I would have brought it too. I brought a Delta Belt only, Rockwell years, and spent $100.00, and it needed bearings an painted.
Oh, OK, I know what you mean about the font.
Does it if I copy something into my e mail, Try to save some time typing, and it more work...........LOL

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2014, 2:56 PM
I know now why it only cost $100. I got it out of the van and plugged it in and hit the switch. The belt jiggled back and forth and only started turning when I gave it a flick. It did not come up to full speed either. I just ordered a Motor Start Capacitor from Grainger.......12 bucks!!!

Anthony Diodati
05-14-2014, 3:45 PM
Assume you didn't try it 1st.
Even if you have to dig up a motor, it's still worth it.
Didn't they say earlier it was a $1,000.00 sander?
But hopefully tha cap. will fix it.

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2014, 5:20 PM
When I talked to him on the phone he said he didn't have the 20 amp circuit to plug it into. It spun freely and actually burning out a motor that is not attached to a load is very rare. The cap should fix it. Yes, they go for over a grand new.

Anthony Diodati
05-14-2014, 8:30 PM
Hope So Bub, Yeah, you still got a good deal,
You do suck, But then again so do I at times.........................

Julian Tracy
05-14-2014, 9:30 PM
I had a Jet buffer that needed a capacitor - had to give it a spin every time I started it. Never did replace the part, with a buffer it was so easy to give the wheel a spin and hit the on switch.

Great deal - good for you.

JT

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2014, 9:44 PM
I don't know about the buffer, but I don't think this is switching to high speed with a bad cap.

Dennis Nagle
05-16-2014, 9:20 AM
Update. Put the cap in and it still does the same thing. I take the motor apart and see how the centrifugal switch looks....

Anthony Diodati
05-16-2014, 8:26 PM
that sucks, yeah centrifugal switch would be my next step, after that there is a real smart guy on motors and electrical, forget his handle off hand,

Dennis Nagle
05-16-2014, 11:10 PM
The switch is good so now I am thinking the windings are the issue but I am not sure how to test them. Any suggestions?

Anthony Diodati
05-17-2014, 12:33 AM
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
I forget hkis name, it says poindexter under his name Nice guy too,

Mark Walden
05-17-2014, 9:06 PM
I have one of the blue/green one that I bought used from Boeings in Seattle and I love it LOTS of power, great machine. A couple of things though on mine you never, never put the belt on all the way, just put on 1-2 inches and turn on the machine and track from there. Mine just shoots the belt over and starts cutting in the machine. A long time ago in Fine Woodworking Mag there was a article about improving the mounting on the idling pulley where the handle is to release tension. If there are 5 thin plates with 6 bolts, 3 on each end
replace those plates with a piece of 1/4 thick steel you can buy from Home Depot. It will track a lot better.
Mark