PDA

View Full Version : wooden counter top finish.. what to use?

eugene thomas
05-13-2014, 6:29 PM
I know this has been talked about but have one counter top to make and nother maybe so figure better see what is the best finish. one is for a basement bar and other one is for a kitchen. The kitchen counter will not be used as cutting board. Just need to find good durable finish. one place told me to use a finsih that just pour on but can just see trying to cover a 16 sf counter with that approach. Would like to use finish that can spray through my hvlp spray gun. One post that seen mentioned waterlox???

brad jansen
05-13-2014, 8:58 PM
I refinished an 80 year old maple countertop in my first house and I used Thunderbird Archery finish, a two part epoxy bow finish. I was very familiar with this specific finish building bows and thought if it held up well on my bows it should do well in the kitchen....and it did. It worked very well and I would do the same again. It is sold by thunderbird archery as well as Big Jim's bow company (he carries the same product and calls it Buffalo Hide finish, and it is a bit cheaper).

I refinished in place though and had to do it on a weekend that the family was out of town....it is potent stuff. Drys to the touch quick, in 1 day you can handle it it and it will take 7 days to fully cure.

Jeff Monson
05-14-2014, 8:54 AM
For the kitchen top, I'd go Waterlox without a question. It can be sprayed, very durable finish.

eugene thomas
05-14-2014, 9:18 AM
Jeff. What process did ya do to spray it. I have sata hvlp gun with 1.4 tip. I know the thicker finishes and paint I thin as needed to spray wright.

Chad Bender
05-14-2014, 9:48 AM
Waterlox is a great finish (I use it on almost every piece of freestanding furniture I build), but there's no way I'd attempt to spray it indoors onto a pre-installed counter top. The oil-based overspray would be a royal mess. 16 sq feet is not that much space, considering the fairly long working time. Just brush it on with a good brush. 3-4 coats this way, with at least a day between them.

However, be aware that the stuff won't be usably cured for a month, and won't really settle down for 6. So it may not be the best option for a kitchen counter top that you'll need to use in coming weeks.

Mark Kornell
05-14-2014, 11:19 PM
For the kitchen top, I'd go Waterlox without a question. It can be sprayed, very durable finish.

Considering Waterlox has a long dry time and flows out nicely, why would you want to spray it?

eugene thomas
05-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Well I will go with the waterlox. I called their company yesterday and person needed to talk to was out of office. But within 5 minutes got call from him. That is pretty good response time.