PDA

View Full Version : Show-n-Tell, Bead Board

Shaddy Dedmore
06-27-2005, 2:24 AM
I just finished making a bead board for a friend who makes jewelery

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/BeadBoardDone1.jpg

I thought it'd be OK to post here since I used a laser in it :)

it's 18 x 14 and not quite 1" thick. The insert is 12 x 10

There's felt on the back of the insert and in the main working area...

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/BeadBoardDone2.jpg

I used the laser to make a template using 1/4" MDF. I had to glue up 2-4 layers to be thick enough to use the pattern following router bit I was using. I should have used the laser to cut the felt, as you can see it's not super even, but I only just thought of that as I'm typing (sighhhhh, the laser can do so many things I keep forgeting to utilize it).

It's made using Maple and Walnut, and finished with Tung Oil. I made it thick enough to have a little weight, because I thought it'd be more stable than something light.

Using the laser to make a template for my router was really cool, and I hope to be able to combine my amateur<o =""></o> woodworking with my amateur lasering to create non-amateur looking things in the future :D

There were a LOT of times where I sure would have liked to have access to a CNC machine though. I screwed up more than once (the bead pockets on the right were all going to be the same size until my 2 sided tape gave out and my template slipped, The felt on the insert is covering up my first attempt and lasering and routing the groove, I filled it and covered it so I didn't have to mill a whole 'nother insert... ahhhh well)

OK... thanks for looking.

Shaddy

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2005, 9:12 AM
It looks pretty cool...I have absolutely no idea what it is, but it looks pretty cool. :p

The business of cutting router templates from MDF is what I use whenever somebody claims you can't do "real" woodworking with a 25W laser. :cool: I know what you mean about laminating a couple together though: I'm thinking of having an extra set of PC template guides cut down to under 1/4" long just to avoid this.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2010, 8:42 AM
I just stumbled across this thread and slapped myself up side the head! Here I was thinking about going out and buying a bead board when I have a CNC and a laser. Some times it's the simple things that escape me. I'm going to make one just as soon as I have time. Thanks for posting.

Lee, this is a board for sorting and stringing beads and findings for a necklace or bracelet. Beads are sorted into the indentions on the right and lined up for color/design in the grooves at the bottom. The removable board with markings allows you to determine desired length and spacing for stringing.